Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help identifying the cause of a noise coming from within the bellhousing on my 68. It's a J code with an 85 Mustang t5 transmission, bellhousing, bearing and clutchfork. Everything works perfectly except for 1) a slight whine which is obviously a bad throwout bearing, and 2) a tcht-tcht-tcht-tcht noise that happens when the car is rolling backward with the transmission in reverse and the clutch pedal is pushed in. If I shift to neutral with the clutch pedal pushed in the noise stops or if I let out the clutch the noise also stops. The noise does not occur in any of the forward gears, nor does it occur if the car is not moving (i.e., clutch in, shift lever in reverse). Could this second noise also be caused by the throwout bearing. Everything else, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel etc are new. I took a gamble and used an old throwout bearing and lost. :(

BTW, someone should publish a lexicon of car related sounds to assist folks trying to describe them. For example, "wrrinnnnn" is the sound of a bad throwout bearing.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
It could be the throwout bearing. Sometimes a bearing will make no noise in one direction but it will in the other. The input shaft is turning when the car is moving, so it is making the bearing move, even with the clutch disengaged. While you are in there, may want to upgrade to a roller pilot bearing if you didn't in the first place.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
It could be the throwout bearing. Sometimes a bearing will make no noise in one direction but it will in the other. The input shaft is turning when the car is moving, so it is making the bearing move, even with the clutch disengaged. While you are in there, may want to upgrade to a roller pilot bearing if you didn't in the first place.
Mike,

Whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis? The throwout bearing always moves in the same direction (unless he has one of those fancy dual rotation engines ;-). Did you mean the trans output bearing? But that is not in the bellhousing.

You go on to say that the bearing is turning even with the clutch disengaged, that would true of the input bearing, but with the clutch engaged only. The throwout bearing would turn with the clutch disengaged only (if the clutch is adjusted correctly), but in one direction only, regardless of what gear the trans is in.

In short, I have no idea what you are saying!

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
If he is rolling forward in reverse with the clutch diesengaged, would it not cause the input shaft to turn in the wrong direction? Isn't there a sleeve on the throwout bearing on a T-5 that centers up on the input shaft?

If not, then I have no idea what I am saying either. I have been inhaling to much steel dust today.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm talking about rolling backward in reverse. Haven't experimented with rolling forward. I'll try that tonight and see if it makes the noise.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I'm talking about rolling backward in reverse. Haven't experimented with rolling forward. I'll try that tonight and see if it makes the noise.
Ok, nothing I said applies then. I was thinking about the input shaft turning the wrong direction and maybe being the throwout or input bearing. But if you were rolling in reverse with it in reverse, that doesn't make it turn the wrong direction on the input side.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
If he is rolling forward in reverse with the clutch diesengaged, would it not cause the input shaft to turn in the wrong direction? Isn't there a sleeve on the throwout bearing on a T-5 that centers up on the input shaft?

If not, then I have no idea what I am saying either. I have been inhaling to much steel dust today.
If he was rolling forward with the trans in reverse, yes, the input shaft would turn the opposite direction from the engine, so your comment would apply to the input shaft bearing and pilot bushing/bearing. I wasn't getting what you were driving at initially.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad we got that straightened out. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts