Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I have a 67 cougar that I am trying to get all the tail lights and blinkers working on. I have absolutely no tail lights at all. I have checked a couple inline fuses to the right of the steering column to make sure they were good and all the bulbs are good.But now here is the kicker If i turn the head lights on and turn on the blinker on either side only the center bulbs flash. Wich according to a trouble shooting guide only center bulbs flash means means the emergency relay is bad. But i turn off the lights then i have absolutely nothing again. I don't know much about this setup but why wouldn't I still at least have tail lights.This also has the stop light relay wire nutted together in it too and don't know if that could be causing some of my troubles or could the emergency relay be the whole problem or any ideas what is going on. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated thanks

·
Registered
349 Posts
First post, huh? Well, welcome to the madness! Sounds to me as if you have some grounding issues. Really weird symptoms occur when grounds are impeded by corroded connections. If you had a wire that you could connect from the negative terminal of the battery, to a grounding-point of the tail-light sequencer assembly, the results might shed some light on what ails your Cougar.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. I will try regrounding sequencer and that was the link I had been using for my troubleshooting so far. I will update you tomorrow with hopefully good news. Thanks again

·
Registered
168 Posts
Theres a lot going on with a cougars tail lights. headlight switch thats allways leaks vacuum in time. brake switch that are different from drum to power disks and the sequencer moter in the trunk! If you can find the trouble shooting dvd it shows everything you need to know! Once you understand how it all works it soo easy to get it all right! Found mine on ebay! Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts