Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently put performer intake back on sealed up nice. Put all back together. but now wont start. Turns fine....no drag....Timing set at TDC. It is Firing from coil and wires,,Plugs are new..Gapped to .44...Gas goes into carb when manual pump. Dont understand why no start. even pured gas into carb..no luck...Maybe check timing again....Any ideas? Thanks in advance

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Are you sure #1 is firing at TDC? You could have put the distributor 180* out. Remember that the crank turns twice for the cam/distributor turning once. Check to make sure that at TDC the distributor is pointing at #1 terminal on the distributor cap.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Does it even sound like it is trying to fire?

If the timing was 180* off, you would get a nice backfire through the carb.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll have to check it again for TDC. Come to think about it. It gave a lil burp through the carb. And smoked a lil when I cranked. Thanks all. I'll report back

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok after reading and thinking and reading...Duhhhh!!! I have it at TDC but i had the rotor pointing at the number one spark plug instead of the number one on the distibutor cap. Too bad i have to work. cant wait to get home and try it again...thanks all!!!!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok got home last night and went to adjust distributor. And what do you know
The brand new one day old battery was dead. I left the keys in the ignition
Now why doesn't these old girls have a warning beep like newer cars. Lol.
So after being pissed at myself all night. I got up in the morning. Went go the battery charged. Sh.t. Brand new battery. Why not? Put car at TDC. Took distributor out and put it back in pointing the number one on cap crossed my fingers and vroom. She's back!!!!!!!! Thanks all!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts