·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Raw gas at the muffler.
Was cruising at 65 with my 68 302 2v
when out of now where LOUD popping
sounds from the muffler. I sut it down
because you know what unburned gas does to your cyl. walls. Now it won't start. Cranks good.spark is there and so is the gas. Now what?
George

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
You already answered your own question on the Yahoo board.

Yes it may have jumped time, but you dont have to pull the cover to check that. Line up your timing marks on the balancer to tdc on the compression stroke for # 1 cyl , then pop the dist cap and make sure the rotor is pointed at # 1 spark plug wire.

If thats good by all means run the compression check.mm

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mark, It was the timing gear. Not many teeth left.
The Cats purring now. Thanks for your input.
George in Rochester NY.
65 Marauder 390 4v
68 XR-7 4v
68 STD 2v

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Cam timing gear, or distributor timing gear? (just curious, for future reference)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mark, It was the Cam timing gear. Put in the kit. real one this time (steel) Also new water pump & fuel pump & flushed out the oil pan with kerosene & ran a case of oil through it.
Send me your email and i'll send you pics of my rides if you want.
George

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Glad you got it going. They usally dont go out just cruising down the road though, more often they jump time when you shut it off.

Wouldnt you like to get your hands on the wise guy who thought nylon timing gear teeth would be a good idea? O well its not just Fords with the problem, I had a Olds with the nylon gear also. mm

·
Registered
216 Posts
I had this happen once in my 74' Torino, 302, stock 2v. Mine bent valves due to piston/valve contact, so consider yourself lucky if you got away with just a timing setup. I was in college at the time and the car was my daily driver, I was on my way to St Louis from Ames, Iowa... My car kept running, but VERY rough. Could have been what damaged my valves. Having the headwork done made the old soup a little thin that month.

Those flarn vinyl or plastic or whatever it is teeth on the cam gear are a wonder.

Ron.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts