Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys question to all!.I have no oil coming out from two rockers(valves) but they seem to work.some said that its to tight?Well i loosen it until it started to clatter, right away i retighten it.should i have waited a littler longer for the oil to come up?Also the oil that does come up comes out slow?doesnt squirt out? why is this doing this.i am having trouble with the 5,6,7,8 bank of cyl.i think its a miss fire/rocker to tight or too loose?because when i go to back of the car @ the tail pipe it does not have a steady noise .the engine is steady then shakes then steady then it shakes . what would be the Symptom if the rockers where too loose?
and the symptom if the rockers where too tight?:1zhelp:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
more info

checked the pushrods they are clean.i loosend the rocker and oil came out,it was to tight.but there is still the misfire?i think. because the engine is steady then shakes steady shakes so either the plugs are not gap right or wire plug not connected good? do you think there is air or pressure leaking from the heads???:cry: :1zhelp:

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I had this problem with my motor after I changed heads. It's still not running that well like before, but its getting better. I manually adjusted both side valves. Your email said you were doing the dr. bank. You should do both sides to be sure.
I found I had 3 bad wires, (Taylors only 3 months old), put on my old set and it idles nicer. Also my alum. intake was cracked causing leakage into the cylinders, fouling plugs and smokin lots, I since replaced with another intake. Bought new plugs, did an oil change and it still runs kinda rough, but driveable. Mostly cuz of the intake (2barrel with 2 to 4 adapter and my Carter) is why its running rough. But it getting better. The dr. side isnt getting the oil supply like the passenger side is but Im getting 75 psi at cruize and between 30-50 at idle, so good enough for me until I build up the 390. The valves could not be sealing properly, causing the uneven idle, (where the valves lapped) or a few of the lifters are collapsed not pumping up properly. not closing the valves all the way (causing the valves to leak) fouling plugs giving you the irractic idle. Check and regap plugs, do a wire test (grab a pair of insulated pliers and pull each wire off (one at a time) the cap and you should notice a change. It should stumble when EVERY wire is pulled, if it doesnt, bad wire or something is amiss (cylinder,plug,wire,valves?). Lots of fun isnt it, I did that to mine, and time to use it as a boat anchor:D
Good luck

Rick

Rick

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea boat anchor

i re gapped the plugs and foung the #5 was to open of a gap re gaped it to .034 idles better but im going to change the fuel filter im going to check the plugs wire like you said?.when i rev real high and keep it there the rear left pipe pops i should record the sound and send it to you would that help:( :bong:

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Does it sound like water, sounded like mine then. It was bad plug wires and plugs. Hope it gets better now that is idling good. It should work its way out, give it time to seat the valves now.

Rick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts