Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a 1967 xr7 . Since I bought the car I have had no headlights or instrument cluster lights. Changed out headlight switch but still nothing . Previous owner tried to install aftermarket radio so that might be issue. Also is there a ground for headlights and cluster , if so could anyone tell me where ? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,005 Posts
There are multiple ground paths so that is unlikely. More likely there is no power to the headlamp switch. The shop manual has complete wiring diagrams. The headlamp switch can be easily removed without touching the instrument panel. Just follow the directions in the shop manual.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply . I am pretty sure headlight switch has power got a spark when I replaced it .. used a screwdriver and didn't disconnect battery . I know I'm an idiot. Am kind of stumped need to take dash apart and see if there is an issue with wiring ?

·
Super Moderator
11,005 Posts
Doubt you need to pull the instrument panel. Just pull the two parking brake handle bolts as detailed in the factory shop manual. After that it's easy to access the headlamp switch and measure voltage on the connector.

Thanks for reply . I am pretty sure headlight switch has power got a spark when I replaced it .. used a screwdriver and didn't disconnect battery . I know I'm an idiot. Am kind of stumped need to take dash apart and see if there is an issue with wiring ?

·
Super Moderator
11,005 Posts
BTW sparks are meaningless - use a volt meter or a test lamp.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks , but I think it's more complicated than that . Just realized I have no headlight dimmer switch and found a few blue/weed stripe wires cut behind dash . Need to try and figure out what Frankenstein assembly previous owner did to car. I already think they switched engines and made a mess of electrical .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts