Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed out every lamp on my 1970 Cougar to a LED light. Just put the Dash back together today and hooked up the battery. Now it seems like all the interior general lights work fine. With the headlight switched pulled I am getting like half the instrument cluster lighting up one blinker indicator on the dash wont change just stays on. The Headlight doors and headlights wont even light up anymore (I did not change the Headlights). None of the blinkers work. I am assuming I need to change the turn signal flasher unit and the emergancy flasher unit to make these work properly. Doese anyone know if this will fix the problems or if I need to keep looking elsewhere before the units get here. I purchased the LED's from superbrightleds.com. I also bought the two flasher units from there. I am not very framiliar with the electrical lighting circuit in the car. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK Here is a update on the car. I received the two flasher units today. So it still looks like only two of the 4 dash lights are coming on but that does not mean they are not trying. The left blinker is on just barely I assume they are getting a little voltage because when I turn the blinker on it gets much much brighter and you can tell it should be off. Also when I rev the engine you can see all the dash lights get brighter clearly. Could this be the voltage regulator on the instrument cluster? Or the Printed circuit board? Both? Or could it be the voltage regulator for the whole car? Any help or where to start would be greatly appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure if anyone cares about possibly changing there system to LED's but I have resolved the problem with everything. Is seems that depending on which LED you purchase it does matter which side is + and which side is -. As for the flashers, the flashers don't work well from super bright leds.com because of the sequential in the back so I purchased the flashers from wccc and that should fix the problem with the headlights on. I tested the circuit board on the instrument cluster with lamps in to make sure all the lamps were in the right direction. Everything on the dash seems to work great now. The led on the turn signals still barely light up but I am changing the voltage regulator to see if that fixes anything. Second the dimmer on the car does not seem to be working. I thought it just might be because of the LEDs but I noticed not even the lamp on the AC or stereo are dimming and I did not change those. I will follow up when I get the flasher cans and new dimmer and voltage regulator put in and post some pictures when it is all finished just in case someone in the future goes this route.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I'd be willing to bet the dimmer switch has more to do with it being flakey. The LED's use less current than bulbs do, but they do need good voltage and be in the correct polarity....I assume you are going to a solid state regulator....I think there are a few guys on here who have made the conversion, but a good how to with pics and everything would help to clear up things for anybody wanting to go this route. The fact that you won't likely have to replace any under dash stuff is what makes it worth the trouble!....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts