Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have no emblems or Cougar badges on our car, presumable when it was resprayed by a PO they were removed and never replaced. The only thing we have is LS on the front grille. What did the 72 come out with, I have seen cougar on the side of Judy's car, I think it was cougar.
Was there a Mercury badge, or a XR-7 badge, there is no hole for a hood badge. inside the car there are Ford badges and round cougar badges.
It would be nice for people to be able to look at our car and know what it is, altho...........
Our registration no says Cougar, but they might just think I think I'm a 'cat'.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Well. I am not up to speed on exported Cat's but i can tell you a few things, one the XR-7 has a wood grain dash(around the gauges) and a Tach. If you have these along with seats with running cats on them you have a XR if not well i am not sure what you have...lol
Also there were XR-7 badges on the cats interior, one on the glove box door. there would also bee ones on the door panels but they are also running cats inside a small circle in the middle of the door panel.

Some pics of the interior would be helpfull.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its definitely a XR7, got all the running cougars, on the door panels and on the black leather seats, Vin no confirms all this, while the interior is original, the exterior has been resprayed, it was white, once upon a time, its now metallic purple!!!
Just need to know where the badges were on the exterior, side, back, front ??? Was there a 'Mercury' on the exterior, if so where, 'cougar' on the sides? and was there a Ford badge anywhere?
Will take pics when the sun shines again :D

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And the Cougar XR-7 on the glove box, got that, and the wood grain finish. Got a MOMO steering wheel????

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Exterior emblems on a 72 Cougar XR-7...

Starting at the front, on the left side of the hood (Bonnet to you)there should be a script 'Mercury'.

In the center of your main grill, should be a round wreath, filled in red with XR-7.

On the lower part of your front fenders there should be a script 'Cougar'.

On the quarter pillar on either side should be a wreath with red inside with XR-7 lettering.

On the deck lid (boot) on the right side should be a script Cougar emblem, along with a small separate superposed 'XR-7' emblem.

Most of these emblems have pins on the backside that would go into plastic ferrules inserted into the holes drilled in the body skin. The one in the center of your grille will have two pins that go through the two holes you see there in the grille and will have sheetmetal quicknuts on the backside. I believe the 'Cougar' script on the decklid is a stick-on piece, while the XR-7 next to it has holes and pins.

On my AlphaCat, I welded up all of the holes (they are places for rust to start) and cut the pins off the emblems and used double-sided bodyman's tape to stick all of the emblems in place.

If I can get my digital camera to work, I'll try to post pics.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Milo, that is a great help, I got my brother in law to take some photos of our cat today, I am posting them as soon as I finish here, check them out, they are much better than the ones I took with my little digital.
Dave, I'm not sure whether I am allowed to post pictures of the interior here, as its not really technically related, will post the two I have in the "Den", as you will see the door panels have been 'cut' and also the rubber etc definitely needs replacing, there is alot of interior work to be done, the switches are all losting their silver coating and a couple of screws on in where toggles should be.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Dayle!

I'll send more pictures to you if you would like!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
post any picture you want...

as long as you are not nude!:D

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HaHa, thanks Judy, if you can I will appreciate it, I am going to try and get someone to "reproduce" the scripts here, it will be a lot cheaper than importing them, that is if I can find someone that can do it.
Dayle

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Importing

How expensive is it?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Our excahnge rate at the moment is about R10.50 = 1$, so if it cost say $50, it would cost me R500.oo + postage, thats about 1/10th of an average month salary.
D

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Judy, got a reply from WestCougar, $40 each, + about $10 postage [rough guess] would make my $50 about right, so if I need 8 emblems/scripts, going on cougrrcj's post, it would cost R4900.00, bit harsh, cheaper for me to take a course in metal work and make them myself.:(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts