Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the cougar running and all put together, took about three years. Now starting to work on the little things. I am having a time with the dash lights. All other lights work, courtesy lights, head lights, tail lights, turn signals, glove box and shifter lights. But, my dash lights are dead and no turn signal indictors work. Brake warning light works, upon start up, AMP and Oil idiot lights works also cigar lighter works. I was thinking its the headlight switch, but my turn signal indicators don't depend on the headlight switch. So, I am driving in the dark with a flash light when I want to see the dash guages. Any suggestions.
Jeremy

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
I changed the headlight switch and that fixed my dash lights. The turn signal light issue is most likely a separate issue. Have you checked the bulbs for in the cluster for the ts lights?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Your dash lights are on a separate fuse, it's a little short one, bottom right, on a 69/70.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Might be as simple as the dimmer reostat is turned off! Hope so. Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys and let me answer your responces.
I have turned the headlight switch reostat many times to see if this changes and still no guage lights.
Before we installed the dash, all the lights were taked out, cleaned and tested - all worked then.
I remember looking at all the fuses and they all looked like they were not broke, but I will chech the little middle fuse it's only a 2.5 amp which runs instrument panel, clock (don't have) and ash tray (don't have) - this may be a possiblility.

Still wondering about the turn signal indicator lights. No suggestions?
Thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Finally got the cougar running and all put together, took about three years. Now starting to work on the little things. I am having a time with the dash lights. All other lights work, courtesy lights, head lights, tail lights, turn signals, glove box and shifter lights. But, my dash lights are dead and no turn signal indictors work. Brake warning light works, upon start up, AMP and Oil idiot lights works also cigar lighter works. I was thinking its the headlight switch, but my turn signal indicators don't depend on the headlight switch. So, I am driving in the dark with a flash light when I want to see the dash guages. Any suggestions.
Jeremy
Your turn signals work on the outside of the car, but the indicators on the dash don't, if this is correct, then you have bad bulbs or bad connection behind dash or in signal switch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Looks like I am a couple months behind. I too have no dash lights and need some help getting my old switch out. I have a new switch from WCCC and am having trouble getting the old switch out. Am I missing something obvious or ??? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
913 Posts
First, remove neg. bat. cable from battery, pull light sw. knob all the way out, reach under dash and push up on the release button on the switch and pull the handle the rest of the way out, (look at new switch to find where the release button is) Then unscrew the chrome bezel from the switch and it should come out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi, the dash lights could be a fuse, they have there own fuse, or the head light switch, when you have the switch out you will see a spring, on the spring there's i little arm with a contact on it that moves across the spring when you turn the knob, make sure the the arm is contacting the spring, check for power. Do your turn signals work? just the dash indicator are out? What year cougar? maybe turn signal switch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks Towcat. I did pull the knob all the way out but the front chrome bezel does not want to turn. I was thinking maybe I was missing something. Shucks, I should have ordered a chrome bezel when I ordered the switch. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
There's a button on the switch you push, then pull knob, it will come out of the switch, the use a screwdriver and loosen the center of the switch retainer. should be seperate from bezel.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks everyone the new switch is installed. Now for that hard to reach vacuum tank!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts