Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an electrical problem. No dash lights. Not sure I ever had them as I am just getting the car going after many many years.
The bulbs are good. Fuse pops immediately, lights don't even blink. There is 14v at the hot side of the fuse but fuse blows instantly. Headlights, courtesy lights, etc. all work.

Could a bad headlight switch blow the fuse?
Something else I can check?
If 14-14.5 volts normal at the fuse box? (With car running)

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
The two wires that go to the radio are not power and ground they are both power, one for the radio and one for the lamp in the radio. 99% of the time what you are describing happens when an after market radio is installed and wired incorrectly.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ooo. I'll check that. There was a poorly installed aftermarket radio when I got it.
I assume there is a ground too? Or not? This could take some detective work.

·
Super Moderator
11,018 Posts
The radio is grounded by its attachment points. There is no ground wire for the radio.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Fuse pops when dash lights are turned on?
My first thought is the headlight switch.
Could be a pinched wire under the console/shifter.
14-14.5V is normal.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The two wires that go to the radio are not power and ground they are both power, one for the radio and one for the lamp in the radio. 99% of the time what you are describing happens when an after market radio is installed and wired incorrectly.
XR7, you were dead on. Took a bit to find it but I eventually found a wire grounded up under instrument cluster. Had no terminal end on it so I was pretty sure that was it. Viola. Dash lights work!
Thanks all

·
Registered
2 Posts
This post from 20 years ago stopped me from pulling the last of my hair out over this exact issue of fuse blowing. Installed a new radio several months ago and given I don’t drive much at night, I never associated the two as cause and effect. Burned through a box of fuses over several weeks trying to figure it out. I struggle with the electrical issues in my project car. Thanks Bill and to this forum for its insight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts