Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1968 XR7. 302, 4V with AC.

12 Volt coil and Ignitor 2 electronic ignition. (Pink resistance wire is non being used) Current wire goes from + of coil directly to the ignition switch.
Replaced ignition switch with Autolite D1AZ-11572-C (SW 1054) switch and new pigtale.
Tach is currently bypassed (don't know if it is good or not so bypassed it)

In "on" position there is current to the coil. When key is truned completely to the "start" position, current to the coil is lost.

Any ideas or is there something wrong with the switch? (jumper missing or something?)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Check that the I post on the starter solenoid is getting 12 VDC when the engine is turning over.
If it isn't, replace the solenoid.
If it is then follow the wire back looking for breaks, cuts, burns, etc. That wire goes back to the engine harness plug and piggybacks with the pink resistor wire at the connector. It supplies full voltage to the coil during START.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the I post of the starter solenoid?
Follow what wire back?
Sorry, I'm really confused. I do have wiring diagrams and they too are sketchy at best. Any further advice?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I had the same exact problem. It was a problem with the wiring at the ignition switch.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
The I post is the small one post with a small ware closest to the big post going down to the starter. It is marked on the solenoid with an "I".
Once you locate that wire and determine that the solenoid is good (I post has 12V when key is in start position) the next step would be to trace that wire back to it's starting point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts