Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 68 base, 106,00 miles, 302-2v, auto. Sat under a walnut tree for the last 20 actual years. No rust, body is pretty straight, as there is an even coat of bird poop covering the dealer installed vinyl roof. Set of 4 wheel covers in the trunk with a bias ply going to throw a kit in the carb and some fresh fuel and see what happens. Never been a fan of automatics, what are the chances it is still functional? Fluid looks good, full, with no signs of contamination. As it is a base model are Cougar lovers offended by swapping, say 5 speed manuals, or is this forbidden due to lack of pedals?
My twin 16 year old sons are crazy about the car but haven't convinced their mom it needs to sit next to my 74 Bronco.
What am I in for????

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
If you aren't replacing soft fuel line, if there are any you should have a fire extinguisher handy.

Keep us posted, I wish you well,

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought I'd just run a line into the gas can, and then drop the tank if we get the car. Of course, a little fire in the belly is a good thing... a little....

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
aftermarket pedals are available, T5's are not hard to find. I would say go for it. But, I have a 68 Cougar, with a built 289, and a 5 speed etc...all ready, so of course I would say that. We are here to help you along, you can do it, we can help.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Whatever you do with the Cougar is better then it's current state. Go for it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts