Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the turn signals, sequentials, back up lights, etc etc. are working great on my '67. When I hit the brake pedal though, I can hear the brake lamp relay in the trunk click so I know it's getting triggered but the actual stop lights don't display.

I've replaced (literally) every bulb in the car so they're all nice and new. The sockets for the tail lights are clean inside - so I'm at a loss here. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
428 Posts
As soon as the sequential turn signals work the bulbs and sockets are fine, since it is the exact same glowwires in the bulbs producing the turn and brake signal.
I would guess it is somewhere in the relay switching the signal from brakes to turn signal/alarm signal.
This relay is located near the sequencer and should pass the brake signal as a default.
So when you apply the brake you should not hear the relay switch. That's probably the issue.
It sounds to me you've got a short or incorrect ground somewhere or the wires are not connected right.
Try disconnecting the thing and find out which wires are hot when the brake is applied.
If it is just the brake wire (green white), there's something wrong in the relay itself.
Else there's a short somewhere.

Hope this helps, if you need more info on the relay thingy, let me know, I've got pictures of the darned thing all over since my turn signals did not sequence. Took the whole wiring harness apart, so if you need them I can send you some pics with some drawings indicating what's what and all.

Cheers,
Matthijs

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some pictorial reference material would be a blessing at this point. In particular where the grounding points should be. I know there's one near the fuel filler neck - attached by a sheet metal screw but otherwise there's a good chance that something got unhooked while I was cleaning and grinding out the trunk.

One other thing back there which has me puzzled is that there are what appears to be some sort of connectors which run in series immediately after the bulb sockets. They're bare metal and about the right diameter to fit sleeved over any of the mounting posts for the tail light bezels. Hard to explain but it's stock wiring so someone must know what I'm on about.

Anyway, if you can email me with some pics and or descriptions of what I'm looking at I'd be most grateful. Send to : [email protected]

Thanks

·
Registered
428 Posts
Republik,

I sent you a mail explaining the wiring at the relay switch. It's about 200kB.
About the grounding, I can't help you with that, since my stock wiring has been messed up pretty good near the actual light bulbs. I would say the complete taillight housing should be grounded, but since the turn signals are working, that should not be the problem, since it is the same wire for the brake lights and turn signals (there's 2 wires in every lightbulb, 1 for taillights and 1 for turn & brake signals). There's 2 wires going to every bulb, one in series (black in my case) and the other one comes from the sequencer and relay circuit at the rubber pad in the left of the trunk.
Every bulb is grounded by the housing. If the bulbs work fine as taillight and brake OR turn signal then there's no problem at the taillight assemblies themselves.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!
Matthijs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts