Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've had a really bad experience trying to get my xr7 body work done. i know from talking to a few people that this isn't an uncommon event.
yes it's probably a lot of my fault not doing the homework, by checking references, looking at the shop environment, and thinking long and hard about the person doing the work.

and for this i had to travel out of state to penn to be shorn like a sheep.

but how to protect ones self from a person who's not completely honest, tells you things he'll do and then doesn't do them. i delivered my car whole and the guy wanted 4000.00 to put the car back together after doing the metal work.

coercion and extortion seem to be the key words here as is intimidation.to take a car apart to do the work and then ask for additional sums to restore the car to the condition it came to the shop is in my mind dishonest.

no i don't use these words lightly because i know the are criminal offenses and because this person acted accordingly to his written estimate, which i unknowingly agreed to before hand not catching the omission of r&r in the estimate. he knew what he was doing, i didn't.

my car was delivered to me in pieces hood off, front and rear clips laid in the car and parts ordered & delivered never put on. seems i've a busy spring ahead.

now i've no problem paying a person for the work they do, i've always expected it for my work and i am willing to pay a fair price. there is no free lunch, at least i've not found too many of them.

this whole experience has made me sick to say nothing of spending thousands of dollars and not getting a value out of it. so let this be a lesson to the community here check and recheck people who are going to do work for you.

and stay away from bucks county pa. it's a dangerous place for cougars

jene

·
Registered
992 Posts
would you divulge the name of the shop? I'm dying to know. But I understand if you don't want to name names.

There are some Cougar Club of NJ/PA members here who might be able to at least point you in the direction of somebody better.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I'm sure there are honest restorers on this site but that is of no help when nowhere near you. That is why I have always believed that if you want it done right you need to do it yourself. If you don't know how then you learn or pass if you can't.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well taking to other people is always a help, i might as well name names. the place is called Bucks County Mustangs, 1012 Trenton Rd, Levittown,Pa owner Carl Radich. he's been in business 20 years so i've been told.

i have yet to talk to Pa bbb but will just to see what any legal recourse i might have. maybe even a lawyer.

·
Registered
480 Posts

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Jene,

After having spoke to you in-depth about previous work you had done and were not happy with (and pulled out of), is this outcome becoming a pattern? While I have no doubt that there are plenty of shiesters out there (as your personal experience has shown), are you quite certain that there isn't a "one tough customer" element that is part this dynamic?

On the practical side of things, get a spot weld bit and get to work! Look at my ECI thread for inspiration and/or how-to/advice. We're here for you (but it ain't for the faint of heart). A outdoor driveway ain't going to get you there (IMO).

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
4,059 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Jene,

On the practical side of things, get a spot weld bit and get to work! Look at my ECI thread for inspiration and/or how-to/advice. We're here for you (but it ain't for the faint of heart). A outdoor driveway ain't going to get you there (IMO).

Regards,

Bob
I have to agree. After trying 2 different shops, 4 years and a fire (front tire burned off but truck was saved. luck) later, I now have my father in-laws 1956 Chevy truck in my garage. (Cougar's outside under a tarp.:realmad:) Great experience. Get some tools and go for it.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Wish I could help

Sadly I'm just a few miles away! LOL
I have no "helpers" other than 1 really dedicated "kid" 19 years young who has a 67 Cat. This keeps me very busy, 17 month+ waiting list....

I continue to hear these stories and can't believe how these Muroons are in business. They seem to really know horse S**T, but have NO IDEA about Cats!
Hey I'm not perfect, but I do listen to my customers, offer ideas and options, and NEVER ask how much they have to spend. I inform them about the cost of options, and they choose what they want. My business model seems to be working very well even in this economy. I wish I had more room though!!!

I do know you will find great people on this list who will go miles out of their/there (missed english class that day) way to help you.

Keep working at it and you will be rewarded!!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
it may take me a while to do my own stuff, but i cant afford to play these games with shops, when it comes to paint and body, 1st noone want to do completes anymore and also unless you want to write a 10 g check your better off doing it yourself , it really isnt that hard -justin

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
nightmare restore
<hr style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225); background-color: rgb(209, 209, 225);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> i'd love to find out more as to what i might be able to do to rectify this horror story because the more i delve into the car the more i know i was taken advantage of.

all i wanted from this guy was a car ready to paint with all the body work done. he knew that from our conversations and i thought he'd agreed to.both mary and i came away thinking finally we are making progress on this car and will be done.

he didn't even bother to fix the agreed upon items we discussed. i am pretty handy but i do have my limitations. did they make his paperwork? not that i can find yet.

i paid this guy about 12,000 to do this job; replace pass side floor pans & rocker panel, patch pass quarter panel, replace trunk & drop downs, drivers quarter panel complete, and a hood apron under the battery, patch a few holes around towers. all parts supplied by me.

so much more was promised an not done.

nothing was sanded nor primed and he wanted 4000 more for body work and 1500 for a maco paint job.

did i say i am sick over this.

at this point in my life i am not afraid of talking to a lawyer, not that i think i'll get any money out of this but to put this guy out of business. i don't think this guy is legal because all transactions were in cash, oh no sale tax.

if anyone has some idea, even if i am wrong on the work estimates then correct me, or maybe point me in the right legal direction. this is causing me lost sleep and aggravation when all i want to do is enjoy my life.

did i say drive my car with the wind blowing in our hair?

am i a hard customer? all i know is that people depended their lives on my work until i retired. i was raised with a new england vermont work ethic and have tried to live my life without causing too much harm. i may have been wrong a couple of times because this karma is difficult to live with but i've lived with worst. do i expect people to do their job?

DAMN RIGHT. i am too old not to.

jene

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
iam afraid any action you take will be throwing good money after bad. "paid in cash "
i have a friend that was to get his car painted ,lots of promises made , total was to be 1100. half at the start half when done. long story short he got ripped off for the whole 1100 , all that was bought was a gallon can of bondo from walmart, that was spread over the roof.
he at least paided with checks but there was still very little he could do. at this time it is money that is just gone.........i helped him for 3 days to get the car straighten up.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
for 12 g that thing should of been done, welded up painted and all, i agree you got took , thats bs

·
Registered
3 Posts
i've had a really bad experience trying to get my xr7 body work done. i know from talking to a few people that this isn't an uncommon event.
yes it's probably a lot of my fault not doing the homework, by checking references, looking at the shop environment, and thinking long and hard about the person doing the work.

but how to protect ones self from a person who's not completely honest, tells you things he'll do and then doesn't do them. i delivered my car whole and the guy wanted 4000.00 to put the car back together after doing the metal work.

coercion and extortion seem to be the key words here as is intimidation.to take a car apart to do the work and then ask for additional sums to restore the car to the condition it came to the shop is in my mind dishonest.

no i don't use these words lightly because i know the are criminal offenses and because this person acted accordingly to his written estimate, which i unknowingly agreed to before hand not catching the omission of r&r in the estimate. he knew what he was doing, i didn't.

my car was delivered to me in pieces hood off, front and rear clips laid in the car and parts ordered & delivered never put on. seems i've a busy spring ahead.

now i've no problem paying a person for the work they do, i've always expected it for my work and i am willing to pay a fair price. there is no free lunch, at least i've not found too many of them.

this whole experience has made me sick to say nothing of spending thousands of dollars and not getting a value out of it. so let this be a lesson to the community here check and recheck people who are going to do work for you.

jene
This guy Carl radich that is the owner of bucks county mustang moved his company and works out of his house now at 260 woolston dr in Morrisville pa , he is the biggest thief And should not be in the car business . I worked for him briefly in his shop and you would not believe how he hides things and rips people off. There would be something wrong with the car and he would make it look like it was fixed when it wasn’t. Don’t trust this guy people . Dealing with this guy would be the biggest mistake of your life. Nothing but a thief

·
Registered
3 Posts
would you divulge the name of the shop? I'm dying to know. But I understand if you don't want to name names.

There are some Cougar Club of NJ/PA members here who might be able to at least point you in the direction of somebody better.

Kevin
His name is Carl radich of bucks county mustangs located at 260 woolston dr in Morrisville pa . Does crappy work and rips people off

·
Registered
3 Posts

jene
I know this guy , he rips a lot of people off . I don’t know how he stayed in buisness as long as he has . His wife is a nasty woman also .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts