Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't write on here very often because nothing really ever happens to my cougar, but that came to a crashing end today. Whilst riding on a nice Sunday at the beach in L.A. , i was stopped in a turn lane waiting for the light to turn green, when i looked to my left and noticed one of those rice burners with all that plastic crap on it that make it look like it was put together like one of those transformer toys. He was coming out of an alley wanting to come into my lane, he could of done that except there was a 67 cougar with a new paint job and out on the road for the first time in awhile, waiting there for the light to change!!! Of course, with limited view out of his decalled windsheild and fake air dam on the hood, he decided it was safe to gun it across the four lane road and t-boned me right into my drivers door and rear fender. Shock, anger, sadness, confusion, anger, oh yeah... and anger all hit me at the same time but because i had a pathetic excuse for a lego assembled vehicle implanted in the side of my door, i was unable to open it to vent on him and he was too scared to get out of his. Fortunately i was able to calm down and get out the passenger side and deal with problem like a rational human being (damn that quality, cuz i wanted to kick his ass!) His excuse was, I didn't see you... what the hell do people look at when they drive and can miss a honkin big 67 cougar with a shiny new paint job staring right in their ass for a face... and i wasn't even moving!!! Anyway, sorry to go on but i needed to vent and i thought this was the logical place and you guys would understand. (My girlfriend's response... insurance will cover it. She doesn't understand)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
wylder.
now that you have calmed down a bit go on the passengers side and look at the door gaps.If there wider then before thats bad news but if there not thats good.Was the floor buckled by any chance? what i see there it is saveable, .Ido feel bad for you and the cat , that kiddo will learn now to look and drive like a respectful person instead of a fast n furious whacko.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
THAT SUCKS! i have good door for 100.00 if you need one. looks like u can fix that one though. like they say coulda been worse, at least u can still drive it!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Now tell us the part where his license was expired and they put him in cuffs and hauled him away... Look at it this way, what if it was a semi???

Bruce

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Damn Pitty! Looks like a nice Cougar too. I know how you feel. I got rear ended the day after I got it ot of the body shop. Luckily it was only the bumper and no body damage.

If it was worse I'm not so sure I would have reacted so (relatively) cool!

·
Registered
794 Posts
did you get a police report so the ba$tard cant come back with a BS story?

If it were me with a fresh paint job and a nice cat like yours, I would have been slamming his head in the doorjamb of my remaining working door.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
ouch. ive been out in Venice and seen the big piles of rice that are out there. sorry to see that man. by the way, if you are ever on Venice Blvd, there is a shop called Mars Auto Body that had a 69 XR7 sitting there... maybe one day you can take a look and see if its still there. dont think it was for sale, but... never hurts to ask. ayy the body really doesnt look that bad. at least nothing TOO expensive was damaged. any of the chrome i mean. now go after that big pile of rice.

oh yeah.. you have whiplash lol

·
Registered
145 Posts
My heart goes out..and so does my appriciation for your writing...funny as hell...sorry to see the damage, it'll look good again soon.
Chris

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate the responses, it did kinda made me feel better... then i went and looked at the car again and got angry all over. It probably isn't that bad but a scratch can be enough to send me into therapy, but i had a camera with me at the time of the accident and 8 witnesses and an amazing amount of people that were ready to string that poor dude up by his balls (people seem to feel the pain when a classic gets hit) but i have a great body guy that i'm sure will be selfishly happy to see me when i pull in on Monday. Oh and Sixt9coug, that 69 xr7 belongs to a mechanic that works or worked down the street on abbot kinney but i haven't seen it in awhile (i live across the street from Mars body shop) nice car! There's about 6 or 7 nice cougars I've seen cruising around Venice but thanks to careless overstuffed lawn mower sounding pieces of rice burning crap there's one less for awhile. When i get it finished i'm gonna have a welder attach a tractor shovel on the front of the coug and start pooper scooping those things off the road... sorry still venting, anyway, this site rocks. Thanks

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Wylder, I feel for you.

Accidents like yours are exactly the reason why my wife is afraid to bring her 70 Mach (21k original miles) out of the garage. If she ever got crunched by some pissant ricer, she'd pull him out of his car by the shorthairs -- the hard way -- by reaching down through his nostrils. You definately don't wanna mess with a 'mama grizzly' and her baby.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sorry to hear the tale and see the pics of that great cougar
paint job messed up. I feel for ya. You probably heard it before
but, as long as nobody got hurt! The car can be fixed although
you still will remember that hit. What a sick feeling......Hope
it is repaired to your satisfaction. Some of these guys just
dont judge the speed thing well when cornering, it does not
matter if your the only one on the road cause ya just slide
off. But...........what about the other guy?

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
It will only get better.
I had a similar situation happen. I was driving with my Son and was cut off by a guy in the lane next to me as soon as he cut me off he slammed on his brakes and I had 4 wheel drums and plowed square into the back of his car.
We pull over and he says in broken English "sorry I stopped" whilst wearing a Burger King uniform, seriously.
When I went to calm my son down and get him out of my smashed 67 Cougar and the guy takes off, the plate number I got comes back as registered to a Nissan and he had an Oldsmobile.
To make a long story short I had an excellent body shop do the repairs all paid for by my Insurance Company (Fought them for that).
Now I have a show quality car and didn't have to pay a deductible because of my uninsured motorist insurance thanks to my hit and run stolen plates oldsmobile driving spanish speaking friend at Burger King

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
wylder said:
Oh and Sixt9coug, that 69 xr7 belongs to a mechanic that works or worked down the street on abbot kinney but i haven't seen it in awhile (i live across the street from Mars body shop) nice car
well i havent been out to Mars Body shop in a while. just kind of wondered what happened to the cars. went there a while back and saw a really really good looking yellow 69 Vert with a Big Block stuffed in it. man that was a gorgeous car. the guy was all too happy to take the car cover off of it and show of his work. he only felt to show off the car after i inquired about the red 69. car was really really soild though. amazing how there is that Porsche place next door with all sorts of nice Porsches and the thing that gets my attention is a weathered old Cougar with 2 flat tires lol.

·
Registered
600 Posts
MAn i understand the pain of owning a nice car and having some moron f*** it up. I was in a parking lot at my local mall when i went to pull out in my 94 SHO (full show car) i got smacked in the front end by a guy driving a car that cost less than my headlights...anywho it turned out he was from england and had no clue what to do...so i let him go. Next day my bumper started to sag...grrrr shows what being nice can do ...sometimes....

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
A very sick feeling when something like this happens. I know exactly how that feels.

I was at a light in my cat, with a car in front of me. I always leave enough room between my car and the one in front and I always watch my mirror for morons that are not paying attention. I see a dump truck coming and he stops just fine. I am talking to my friend and look in my mirror again and the truck starts rolling, so I creep forward, all the while using up the space between my car and the one in front thinking the truck is going to stop. Needless to say I use up the space and the truck hits me. It could not have been more than 1 mph but the truck was huge. The incident wrinkled the quarter extension and the quarter panel and pushed the rear bumper up on a perfect Cougar with a sweet paint job that is the same color as yours. He was reaching for a pepsi can that fell on the floor.

I am sorry that the idiot crunched your very nice car, and as you can see there are many people that feel your pain. Time heels all wounds and like me you will get over it and it can be repaired.

Keep us all in the loop, regarding the work to bring it back to perfection.

RickJ

·
Registered
648 Posts
Ouch!!!

Reminds me of last summer when 68 KAT decided she didn't want to have brakes anymore. Make sure you think rationally and go to that body man you trust.

And keep Don Rush's phone number handy...:)

Ken

1 - 20 of 32 Posts