Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My motor runs great but I want to do a complete performance rebuild. Which is the better starting point? A 71 block with the gt40p heads I got or a 96 & later motor. I may be able to get a v8 from an explorer on the next 1/2 price weekend at picnpull ($80). Is there any performance advantage to going with the newer motor?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Keep in mind the balancing of the engine is different so you would need to have the right balance in the flywheel type the trans you will be using requires. Otherwise, '96 would be a roller motor, which means you can do more with cams (and spend more money doing it!). Also, no pivot location for clutch linkage on the later blocks (if you would be using a manual trans).

That's all I have, but bet there is more to consider!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Rotation on the WP is backwards - so your rad hoses are going to be opposite, but yeah, I'd go with the roller motor if it's complete at that price - brackets and all, your better off to spend the $ on it.....tons of go fast parts availble too

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats the kinda info i need. Will my intake from my current motor fit? Edelbrock performer? I guess that would save me from having to bore it out too. Guess i better get schooled on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts