Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone! I have a 68 with a 302 tied to a c4 auto! of course I had a cylinder wall crack on me its not a numbers matching block to begin with so what I would like to do is find a newer 5.0 with gt40 heads and freshing it up and make it carburated so other than having the matching 50 ounce flywheel to work on the c4 is there anything else to consider??

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Firing order will be different in the newer 5.0 but that's not a big thing.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
This is a dangerous area...."While you are at it"......You might be able to find a newer donor car, with OD trans. With the OD, you can run steeper rear end gears...To take advantage of the gears, why not think about a cam swap, as the motor is already out....

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recently found a 69 xr7 with a 5.0 in it. I have to agree, it could use an Aod, but it's great for cruising in town. Any way I can help, let me know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh yea, the harmonic balancer should have a 30 oz weight on it I believe.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
You'll also need to change the timing cover for one that allows a fuel pump.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Just use an electric fuel pump with a pressure regulator inline. A newer 5.0 will have a 50oz weight on the balancer so you will only need to replace the flywheel to a 50oz matching one. You can not change the weights on a balancer as it will throw out the whole rotating assembly.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Yeah, what restomod said, you must use a 50 oz if your using the stock crank.

I think the pulleys will be your biggest issue. Keep in mind if you want to do a cam swap you need to stay conservative as a fuel injected engine can handle more cam with smooth idle idle.

You can also get afr 165 head just slightly more than rebuilding gt40 heads and get more velocity power and mileage....

Go T5 and you get even better mileage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts