Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first full blown restoration project, Ive done motor swaps and interior and body work before but this is my first car to need ALL of the above haha.

Its a 68 standard with Factory AC and um..thats about it. Still has the 302 shortblock in it but heads were removed years ago to be rebuilt but the car was just neglected then.

its got some rust here and there, not much at all considering its age, but i'll put in the partial floor pan sections to make sure its nice and stout and eliminate the chance of it spreading by doing a quick fix. the trunk is the worst but ive found the panels for it already too.

my big question, when i got the car the PO (wife's uncle) had purchased a wrecked 88 or so Ford pickup and pulled the EFI motor out of it (302) to put in this car. Then they got side tracked by one of the thousand other project cars they have going on so I am now the proud new owner of a cougar with half a motor and a complete motor on the stand beside it.

My plan is to yank all the EFI stuff off the motor and put an intake and carb on it (the car has its OE 2bbl intake and carb plus a second 2bbl carb that was in the trunk). my plan is to go with a 4bbl.

but i got to thinking...what would be needed to put the complete EFI motor in the car? the motor was just unplugged from all the hanresses and pulled out complete- from the throttle body to the oil pan. i know to go from the EFI to the carb im gonna need an intake, carb, mechanical fuel pump, and my guess is distributor also... plus the oil pan, i assume, will swap over from the cat's to the "new" 302 since the pickup's pan is backwards from the cougars....

what's ya'lls thoughts? its going to be just a clean and simple restomod type of car... some changes here and there to make it mine and no racing or anything, just cruising. sourced carpet and headliner and other trim parts, but who has the best price on upholstery and foam? the fronts will need foam and covers the rear probally just needs new covers....

anyone still running the stock drums on it? im kinda leaning towards keeping it as close to factory equipped as i can...something about drivnig an old car that drives like an old car is just neat to me. without wanting to do any high speed driving or racing, i figure they would work just fine since thats pretty much how they did it back then and it seemed to work, as the car isnt smashed into a wall.

also, trunk lip repair... it has some minor rust but finding a rust free used one is kinda like pulling teeth..ayone have good success repairing the lip?

looking forward to this LONG project haha

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Welcome!

lots of experience on this site. (i'm just not one of them unfortunately)

There also are some vendors and traders that have most of what you need.

enjoy!

Jean

·
Registered
156 Posts
Welcome to the forum, West Coast Classic Cougar is a great source for parts including body parts. There is thread on this site that covers the EFI engine swap. The 88 motor has a roller cam and should work great. There are aftermarket harnesses and PCM available. You can get by with drum brakes, but it's pretty easy to convert to front disc brakes.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Does Aunt Bee know and approve of what you have in mind? :buck:

Welcome.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
The way these old cars drive was fine when that's all that was on the road with them. But now, they are sharing the road with cars that have much better braking systems so I would convert those drums to disc for any car that's being made into a driver. There's no value in retaining drum brakes on a car that's got a newer, EFI engine in it. But there's lots of value in having that same car stop more like a newer car, IMHO.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok im gonna go with an intake and 4bbl on the roller 302. have a couple of bugs to work out with it all swapping parts over but shouldnt be too difficult.

im prbally going to keep the drums FOR NOW and upgrade down the road.... unless i come across a cheap way to do it now....its going to be a budget build, that was the one condition the wife had on it when i got it. :) i'll take some liberties with it and change things to my liking here and there though, its just a standard car nothing going to be lost with a resto mod.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also, when i put this roller block in the car, and forgive me because im doing this blindly and just havent gone out there to look at and compare, but will the PS pump and AC compresor brackets bolt up to the newer block or am i going to have issues there?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the new motor didnt come with any ps and ac stuff... ive got the stock ones from the cat....was going to rebuild or get rebuilt ones of course but it "looks" like the blocks are going to be the same and this is going to bolt up ok.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts