Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 cougar with a 302 and I want to drop in a bigger engine into it...I am just wondering what is the best route to take. I don't know a whole lot about cars, so please be nice.
Any advice is appreciated,

thanx,

nick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
forgot this part....

I also forgot to mention I was just thinking about putting a 4 bbl carb with 3 1/2" straight pipe on it, of course I would need a new intake if I am not mistaken...

nick

·
Registered
210 Posts
Why do you want to go bigger? If it's because you want to go faster then you have what you need already. A 302 is a great platform for building some good horsepower! There are many different routes you could take, but that depends entirely upon you and what you want to spend. You have to give us some idea of the buget you are working with. Once we know what you are working with, we could give some solid advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
302 is good then....

you see I told you I didn't know anything about cars...lol...
okay I want to go faster, I don't have a hugh budget rate now, but in about a year money won't matter. I want to make a project out of it...build it up slowly....

does this info help out anymore?

thanx,

nick

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hmmmm...nitrous or supercharging??? :D

Seriously, the way I would start would be with a moderately priced intake, cam and carb kit. That way you'd have a matched set of components created by a tuner much more intelligent than you or I. I'd also add a free flowing exhaust system as well. You can also add a better ignition to give you a hotter spark (MSD comes to mind).

However, all of that won't make you happy if you have a ring and pinion gear in the rear end that is in the lower range. My 400+ HP 390 big block seems really slow because of the 2.75:1 gearing.

Above all remember, the more $$$ you spend the faster you'll go... and the faster you'll be broke!!!

Ken

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm....

moderately priced intake, cam and carb kit any names come to mind?? and what is a free flowing exhaust system?

sorry if this is annoying you.

thanx,

nick

·
Registered
648 Posts
Take a look at Summit Racing (www.summitracing.com - I think). The Edelbrock Performer series comes to mind, although they may have more 'matched' kits.

Free flowing exhust is typically a set of exhaust headers with 2 or 2.5 inch exhaust pipes and a less restrictive muffler (Flowmaster, Thrush, etc).

Not only should it go faster, but it will sound pretty good too...

You're NOT a pain...the only dumb question is the one you don't ask!

Ken

·
Registered
210 Posts
You could build your 302 to the "BOSS" specs! That would make for an awesome '68!

Get yourself a nice intake like the the "Performer" with a 600+cfm carb, preferably something with vacum secondaries, and a nice mild cam. After you've done these things you could put your Coug on the bottle. You could always get some headwork done or change the heads...

How fast to you want to make this happen? You could just go with bolt on stuff for now until you're ready to tear down the block and really get busy!

Don't worry about asking questions... that's what we're all here for, to help each other out and learn from one another!

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have a 'mostly' stock 302 4V in my 68 and I'm happy with the performance despite the problems it has being a high mileage motor. One of the mod's I most look forward to adding is a set of Stans Tri-Y headers with 2.5" pipe and flowmaster exhaust. Even with the 3.0:1 rear end she'll lite'm up with little effort but a good set of headers should really help unleash some hell. :devil:

The other mods I plan to do in the near future is upgrade the alternator and ignition system. I already have a Performer RPM IM and Carter 625 cfm 4 barrel. :D

correction: 'She'll lite it up" yeah I have a peg leg rear end but I got my eyes peeled for a 3.55:1 posi to fit my 8" :licka:

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'll make this quick and simple performer cam and intake with 600cfm carb and maybe upgrade the ignition to an MSD then later on you can do some head work. Also a good exhaust is mandatory for any real horsepower suggest at least a 2.5 to 3" duals with good headers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanx

I appreciate all your help, and suggestions...
When I get time I'll throw a pic of of my cat...

thanx,

nick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts