Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all!

I am currently helping a nice young lady bring her fathers '72 XR7 'vert back from a long hibernation. The car was last on the road in '82-'83. I have already been through the brakes and some mechanical systems, and today she actually drove it around the yard. She was very excited, to say the least! Anyway here's the bodywork question. The Cougar has a some fairly heavy damage to the drivers side rear quarter. Her dad hit the side of the garage years ago. There was previous damage also, and some rust behind the tire, wheel arch, and possibly the edge of the wheel house. Is my only option a used quarter? Can a Mustang quarter be used as a patch panel, I know the bumper area has to be different, but what about wheel opening, and lower part of the panel?

Thanks for any advice!

Stan DSCI0416.jpg

·
Registered
316 Posts
The mustang panels are different in body lines . Put up some pics and lets see what you are dealing with . It will help us out better that way .

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Welcome aboard. You need to contact Don Rush at West Coast Classic Cougar for proper body parts. You don't list your location....where are you at?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Welecome! --- Keep your eyes peeled for a donor 72 cat....can't be to hard to find I wouldn't think? might make things go smoother.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could probably pull out what's there, and cut and weld small patches for the rusty spots, I was just trying to weigh options. A nice clean panel at a reasonable cost would be my first choice. A lot of the panels in this area have rot along the bottoms, especially in the corner near the tire. Usually from the drains getting clogged and staying wet. Thanks for the input so far. Forgot to take the camera today, will get pics soon.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Update your profdile with your location.....might be somebody on here has what you need...? I saw a POS 72 or 73? in Mechanicsville the other day - the quarters didn't look horrible from 75 ft! ;>0

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A few pics of the good side. The owner chose to go with a period look with the skinny whites on the Magnums. She also picked out the earlier red centers. I like the way it looks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I added these earlier, and it said they had to wait for moderator approval, but I got tired of waiting, so I attached them this way. This is the rear quarter damage. I believe you click on them for full size. DSCI0423.jpg DSCI0424.jpg DSCI0426.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's a couple of pics with the new skinny whites installed. I was doubtful about how they would look, but I think they look great! Very period correct. The owner also bought the earlier red centers for the magnums, they really make the magnums pop. DSCI0428.jpg DSCI0427.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts