Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 69 XR7 needs pretty much all wiring replaced. I have been to most of the Cougar Parts Suppliers like JCC and WCCC and Ken's and a few others. Many have used harnesses and can get new ones for under the hood, but no one has new in the under the dash harness.
Can anyone suggest a supplier or is new just not available?
I am having an ignition shop do this job and he also doing some research with his suppliers. We discussed the possibility of maybe a Mustang harness and him doing some fabrication as needed, but any help or suggestions are appreciated.
Thank you,
John

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Not available. You might contact Tom at KTL as he has contacts for OEM type wiring. Even if they did make this stuff, it would be sky-high. Have you seen what the underhood harness costs?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not available. You might contact Tom at KTL as he has contacts for OEM type wiring. Even if they did make this stuff, it would be sky-high. Have you seen what the underhood harness costs?
Thanks.
Yes, I've seen the cost.
I don't know who Tom is or what KTL is? Could you please clarify?
John

·
Registered
332 Posts
I too am going to rewire mine. I want to simplify the harness. I was looking in to a universal harness from painless or making my own. How do the mustang harnesses differ?

·
Registered
839 Posts
I too am going to rewire mine. I want to simplify the harness. I was looking in to a universal harness from painless or making my own. How do the mustang harnesses differ?
For the under-dash harness, Mustang differs by at least the Gauge Main Plug, Plugs to connect to Rear-Trunk Harness, and lack of Center Dash Switches or Lights. Cougar had Sequential Rears and all the plugs for those are different.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
nothing wrong with a good used harness, should not be that hard to find either.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i got myself a used front wirring harness since my original was hacked into and spent about 10 hours taking it apart, cleaning the hell out of it and then re-wrapping it up with new tape and in the end it looks just like a new one!!!...the used harness was actually in very good shape for 40 years old, just needed a good cleaning and I transfered over a couple plastic clips from my original harness that were in better shape and it's now ready to rock...I used fast orange hand cleaner and a rag to clean it and for the really tough area a bit of brake clean...the tape I used was not electrical tape and it's like electrial tape but minus the sticky glue side...can't remember where I got that tape though...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts