Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that many of you have been following my thread about replacing the roof on my car, but I figured that I would give this video its own thread so it won't be buried 7 pages deep on the other one, which is now beginning to snowball into something much more than a roof job anyway. :bloated: It felt kind of weird being on the other side of the camera this time!

I have to say that I've been pleasantly surprised at how doable this job is. It's easy to despair when you know you have a rusty roof, and I was extremely apprehensive going into this. As I went along, however, and with the help and advice from the more experienced people around me, I found that separating the roof panel from your car (and the donor car) isn't that hard to do... just very time consuming! I hit a brick wall when it came time to weld the new one on, however, and that's when I handed it off to someone who knows that they're doing. Are the methods I used 100% correct? I dunno. There's more than one way to "skin a cat" ... pun definitely intended. The main thing I wanted to prove, though, is that this is a doable job for a person with limited skills/experience, and a rusty roof shouldn't necessarily stop you from saving a car.

So anyways, here it is!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Very nice video. I especially like the intro. Are you going to install the vinyl top yourself? I would love to see a video on that.

By the way, who's your camera man?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'm debating on the vinyl top.. I'm leaning towards having a professional do it, because I wouldn't want to screw it up. However... what we might be able to do is bring a pro out to our shop and have him host a video on how to do it... kind of like the hood stripe video we did a while ago.

Since normally I'm the camera man, this time I had to stick the camera on a tripod, point it at myself and try to make sure I was in the frame. Some of the shots didn't turn out so great (you can see the lights in some of the shots... doh! Big production faux-pas). On some of the shots, Don held the camera (like when I was grinding the drip rails and the C-pillars).

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Andrew,
Excellent video and you did a great job on the car. I happy for you and a job you can say that you did most of the work on. Keep up the great work!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I look forward to checking out the video Andrew. Here's to proving something! :beer:

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Nice job Andrew.

Looks like WCCC needs to add a couple of items to the ol' toolchest: windshield molding clip tool, wiper arm tool. Both save a lot of time and hassle.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Nice job Andrew.

Looks like WCCC needs to add a couple of items to the ol' toolchest: windshield molding clip tool, wiper arm tool. Both save a lot of time and hassle.
We actually do have both of those tools but remembering which parts car they were left in can be a challenge... I never use a wiper removal tool as my fingers seem to work just fine and when your clips have rusted off your roof (as they did on Andrew's car), any old butter knife or even compressed air will knock off the trim off. VERY happy with how the video turned out, GREAT JOB Andrew!

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
We actually do have both of those tools but remembering which parts car they were left in can be a challenge... I never use a wiper removal tool as my fingers seem to work just fine and when your clips have rusted off your roof (as they did on Andrew's car), any old butter knife or even compressed air will knock off the trim off. VERY happy with how the video turned out, GREAT JOB Andrew!
I guess I have been spoiled by having a Cougar that doesn't have a lot of rust. My grip strength is nil so finding the wiper tool was a big help. Makes it a lot easier to install the wiper arms too.

I used to work with a guy who had a really messy workbench in his garage. The big joke was whan you asked where something was, the answer was "It's on the bench".....

·
Registered
389 Posts
cool. love the stupid truck in the intro haha.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Excellent job Andrew! These video's are great fun to watch and very informative. Living in Cat Haven certainly has it's rewards. Pretty cool the car is getting a full makeover with new top and paint. It's a cool car with great family history. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Very nice job Andrew, that was one crusty roof you had there and I know you're happy about having it repaired. I feel very fortunate to have both a California rust free car and a non-vinyl top car as well. What camera with the remote mic do you use to make these videos?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Wow, very professional job, Roof and video! you should be quit proud of yourself. two thumbs up!!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Nice job Andrew. Hope your tetanus shots are up to date.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the comments everyone! Glad you all enjoyed it. On a side note, the same day I posted this video, we sold a donor roof to someone who watched it and was convinced that he could do it. Now that's cool in my book.

The voice for the Simpsons get millions $$. What did Scott get for his fart noise effects?
He got his name immortalized on the screen, of course :D

Very nice job Andrew, that was one crusty roof you had there and I know you're happy about having it repaired. I feel very fortunate to have both a California rust free car and a non-vinyl top car as well. What camera with the remote mic do you use to make these videos?
Yep, it's great to finally have it done! Now it's just a matter of trying to control the snowball effect... As far as the gear I use for these videos, it's basically the lowest-budget stuff that I could get away with using and still get decent quality results. The camera is a Canon VIXIA HF M300 (we have two) and the wireless mic system is an Azden WLX-PRO, of which we also have two systems for when two people need to be talking. I'm not terribly impressed with the Azden system.. you may have noticed some audio static in most of our videos. But considering the low budget stuff, I think we're doing alright. Production quality will gradually get better as we dial things in and get better gear.

I rewound three or four times trying to see the text about the truck!
Haha.... I was wondering how many people would notice! Stupid truck....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts