Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I spent several evenings last week installing a new stereo in Ginger last week. Looks and sounds decent. Sence this Cougar came with a factory AM/FM stereo I didn't want to chance that look. So I got a Classic Auto Sound Secretaudio system.

I mounted the control head were the ash trey would go in the console.

The round thing is the remote control.

The Black Box is in the trunk.

Makes a clean install. This unit has inputs for using a Ipod/Iphone. It also has a AUX in that I put a RCA to Mini stereo cable in so I can plug in my Atrex smart phone to play Pandora or my Music files from. It also has a USB jack and will play music files from a Flash drive.

:wave:

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Hey - that looks good! Pretty slick....

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I'm checking in on this at work. The pictures are not coming up. Any one having that problem?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sweet...that looks really good.....thanks for sharing

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
no picture here..But congrats on the tunes! My 69 had some damage done to the metal dash, so I went ahead and cut it for a DIN style stereo. Pioneer all the way, 150 watts, two 6x9's in the rear deck, and two 5x4 in the front doors. (in the stock locations). Love it! I like to load up "hippie music" on my mp3 player, and then have a total vintage driving experience. Now if I could only find a pair of bell bottoms.......

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I can't see it from work either - the browser is stripping it off I bet. Maybe you used a "naughty site" to post them from (that includes yahoo, google, facebook, youtube and a few others here...not what you are thinking of! LOL) was the controller portion of that actually mounted or just laying there..? I'd be afraid of it getting soaked when I spill my drink or something - plus it's kind of a giveaway!

·
Registered
945 Posts
I like the look especially leaving the original in place, but how did you get the underside camera shot under the console, I have a hard time getting upside down to check the fuses :lol2: I'd like to eventually bypass my am-8track with some kind of cd player in the trunk without removing the original for its look, but that hasnt hit priority one on the list yet:smoke:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Now that is a super slick placement of the head-unit,....Is the discs changer in the trunk also?

Mighty brave move to cut the console for the flush mount remote!

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I add a disc changer it will be in the trunk. The radio in it works well. But so far I have been using my smart phone and playing Pandora or the music I have stored on it. Ias for the picture under the consol, didn't think I was that small did ya...(took it befor I installed it)
The pictures are linked from my Facebook page. I can see them from home and my smart phone. Must be a company fire wall blocking them. If I have time I'll move them to photo bucket or flicker and repost.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Looks good. Nice install job.

I still am trying to figure out how to get an old 8-track player to work with out an amp..
This is one of those old units that had no knobs on it. It was an add on to the existing system.
Wanted to use it with no radio..just 8-track..

·
Registered
505 Posts
I really like that look and as Jenny and I only have an original AM head unit ... this looks like a cool way to do something different! Since we don't smoke, losing the ash tray is no big whoop. If she can plug in her iPod or switch over to listen to the Texas Rangers (GO RANGERS!) then that's all we're asking.

Did they offer any package that included an amp or pre-amp?

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought the unit from West Coast Classic Cougar. You can add a CD changer to it. As well as use a Ipod and other modes of input. It also has 4 chanel line out and a Sub wolfer out.

P.S. Funny, I'm at work and now the pictures are working. I have not had time to move them to another server.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Ok I'm revisiting this since I have the vert apart on another project and don't ever want to disassemble the dash again :evil: I'm thinking of the SST with the CD changer since I have a sony jukebox full in the house and FM radio isn't my bag of tricks down here. I think I would have to mount the head unit in the glove box since my ashtray is towards the back of the console and not sure it would fit. Was everything included in the kit, wire, connectors, and so on since I see you mounted the black box in the trunk? How did you route the wires from the back to the front? I like that you left the old radio in place as I'm trying to keep that factory look as well and don't want to put a newer component in the dash. I will have to replace the door speakers (another project i'm not looking forward to) and even though its grill looking there are no speakers in the dash so I guess I will be left with only the 2 door speakers for sound. Since you have already done this any guidance/ info / direction would greatly be appreciated. :smoke:

·
Registered
945 Posts
Thanks Leon and sorry to heaar that. I'll save the pm for a later date hope all is going well :smoke:

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Me too, GET WELL SOON NEIL!
No getting sick allowed or laying down on the job.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts