Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey..I recently purchased a 69 Std Cougar from the second owner. This car has never been owned by a kid so everything is exactly as it came except for the stereo. 81K+ miles. A little rough here and there but excellent body with no previous body work or rust repair. Have fired engine briefly but not driven yet, need to finish the brakes first. Anyways..I hope to get and contribute information about restoring this Cougar. Anyone in the Birmingham, Al that would like to meet to discuss Cougars would be welcome im new to this area and don't know much about it. http://tinyurl.com/7s3oszz
Frankie

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Welcome Frankie.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Fantastic progress!!! Welcome!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Welcome! You've got a great, sound project car to keep you busy. I really like your blog, thank you for including the link. And, I like the gold/black color combination. I look forward to hearing about your first drive.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Howdy from TX, my daughter and I are restoring what I sometimes refer to as a Humpty Dumpty project. It's our '69 Eliminator and it's in a million pieces and we're trying to put Humpty together again. I may have to ask for a photo sometime.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Howdy from TX, my daughter and I are restoring what I sometimes refer to as a Humpty Dumpty project. It's our '69 Eliminator and it's in a million pieces and we're trying to put Humpty together again. I may have to ask for a photo sometime.
I took my car 'AlphaCat' apart 27 years ago so believe me when I say I know what you mean, LOL!!! I ended up buying a parts car just so I knew what bracket, clip, bolt and screw went where!!!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Welcome - looks like it was pretty solid from day one - good progress! Keep us posted - we love pics and updates

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the kind words and support. A little update; yesterday after having to remove the gas tank due to a giant hole in it, and flushing out the fuel line and rebuilding the gummed up carb I finally got the engine to start and continue to run. I rigged up a temporary gas tank using a tank sprayer (I know its dumb, but it worked and didn't leak a drop!) The tranny shifted in to all gears very crisply as it should. I found a receipt for the tranny rebuild indicating that it was done in 2003 but apparently wasn't ever driven after. Now for the really good news..the headlights retracted as soon as it started up..yea!! In fact all the electrical components work except the sequential tail lights and the rim blow horn. I feel like im off and running now. Next portion will be blasting and painting the chassis and engine and tranny removal.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the kind words and support. A few days ago i found that the gas tank has a huge hole in it and that the fuel line and carb were really gunked up. So after several hours with a few cans of carb cleaner and a rebuild kit, I was ready to try to fire it up and go for the first cruise in 18 years. But first I had to provide a "suitable" substitute gas tank which turned out to be a 2 gal sprayer tank. I know its dumb but it actually worked without leaking and I only wanted to drive it up and down my neighborhood to check out the engine and trans, before I pull them. They both worked fine. Here's a video of it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
It's a great feeling to be behind the wheel of a car that you've worked hard to reawaken...congratulations! And thanks again for posting the video.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Hey is that green grass? I almost forgot what that looks like! LOL That thing sounded like it wanted to go for a long ride - should be relatively easy to get her cleaned up and running good huh? It's all the prep work for for paint/body that seems to take forever....but well worth the effort

·
Registered
25 Posts
Congrats.....I just found out my fuel tank is done and is completely rotted on top :(
My 68 has run in 16 years so I'm in a similar boat. Going to pull the carb off today....

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yesterday, I tackled a rust issue on the deck lid..it looked simple but as I got into it, it got more complicated. I decided to cut open the double and fix it from the back side. However due to a pacemaker I'm not allowed to use a welder so I used pop-rivets to put it back together. To remove the affected inner panel i peeled the lower seam apart and found more rust in there too. I blasted everything and used POR 15 and fiberglass to fix everything. However when I tried to re-bend the seam closed it split the entire length, due to the rust im sure. So..now I got some sheet aluminum and fabbed a new lower lip which I pop-riveted into place. http://cougarrestoration.weebly.com/

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
No welder huh? Wonder why? They must be afraid you would light yourself up a bit huh? Anyways - it's kinda hard to get it done properly without removing the rust areas entirely....if you can't weld they do now make panel adhesives that are much better than going the pop rivet route.....check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXrGJ_D4CWg

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very interesting, I knew that stuff existed..don't expect to have to do any whole panel replacements, car is pretty rust free on the body, but I wouldn't mind having some of that stuff just to glue anything I wanted together. And the pacemaker can be temporarily disabled by electro-magnectic fields e.g. welders, alternators or generators, no real threat just couldn't work if it were needed.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's been a while since I last posted..been real busy retiring. But now its time to get back to the Coug. Since my last post some things I have done are: buffing the windshield and trunk trim, restoring the windshield cowl and wiper assembly, and the lower valance, turn signals and licence plate bracket.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Replacement trunk lids sell for a hundred bucks everyday of the week. If you have the cash, I'd save the time.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts