Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! My name is Lenny. I am 27 years old and quite new to the whole Mercury Cougar world. I recently got my hands on my mothers first car, yes a Mercury Cougar. It is a 69 XR7 Cougar that has been sitting in a lot for years with out being turned over, so no it does not start. There is a lot of body damage (rust) that needs to be repaired. I want this car to be a project of mine to get back to the streets. It will cost me quite the dollar, but I'm looking forward to the challenge. So being that I am new to this whole Mercury Cougar restoration world I was hoping that some of you can give me some advice. Maybe those of you that know a thing or two could advise as to where I should start or maybe good places to buy parts and so on. Like I said, I'm new, and anything will help.

Also, I would like to check out some other cars. Are there any car shows or meets going on in the SoCal area?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Lenny, welcome to the madness. Here are links to Cougar vendors that are great to purchase parts from:WCCC, www.cougarpartscatalog.com . The owner is a member here (Don Rush). www.cascadeclassics.com is owned by John Benoit (DrCougar). JCC, www.johnsclassiccougars.com . There are also members here who sell parts like Randy Goodling (CATHOUSE). The names in parenthesis, are the names of the members here. John

·
Registered
292 Posts
Just a question, Are you going for a Complete period/yr correct restoration, or are you wanting the body to look good and have a good daily driver. Believe there is a Major difference in costs. Either way, so cool to have found a family car.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Welcome! Post some pictures and the door data tag. You found the right place to find parts / help. Lots of knowledgeable guys here. What town are you in?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Welcome to the Madness, I'm also in So. Ca. Please fill in your locatation in your profile. It will help others when responing to some of your questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! And thanks for all the informations. As far as the restoration goes I would like to restore it to stock as much as possible with just a couple different things such as wheels and probably paint. But what I'd like to do is get the motor rebuilt as well as the transmission. I'm not to sure how tore up the car is yet BUT what I do know is the body is REAALLY BAD, as far as the rust goes and I don't know how that will affect the restoration. I have two people tell me it may not even be work fixing. Depressing but I don't want to give up on it as it does have some sentimental value to me. Like I said I am new to the whole scene, and really want this to be a project.

I'll update my information.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Also, I would like to check out some other cars. Are there any car shows or meets going on in the SoCal area?
Welcome Lenny! I had to laugh when I saw your question about car shows. Last year at the Good Guys car show in Del Mar there was only one Cougar in attendance out of thousands of cars. As to your rust issues, it'd be best if you could post some pics showing the affected areas. You may need to become familiar with the acronym ECI (for East Coast Idiot). An ECI is certainly not an idiot, but someone who lives on the east coast and has limited access to affordable rust-free parts and pieces. They are then forced into becoming proficient with MIG welders and metalworking to avenge the rust......how are your mechanical skills?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ha! Well good thing I live on the West Coast! :) As for my mechanical skills they are not great by any means but I am fortunate enough to have a girlfriend thats dad and brother are very good with their mechanical skills, as well as welding because this car is sure going to need it. Tomorrow I don't have to work so I will be out taking pictures of the car which will be mostly the exterior rust.

My ultimate goal with this car is to strip it down completely and rebuild it from in to out. I know it will be pricey but it will be a hobby of mine and I don't mind it, because I think it will be very gratifying. What are your guys thoughts on that? Does anyone have experience with that kind of rebuild? Pros and Cons?

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
My ultimate goal with this car is to strip it down completely and rebuild it from in to out. I know it will be pricey but it will be a hobby of mine and I don't mind it, because I think it will be very gratifying. What are your guys thoughts on that? Does anyone have experience with that kind of rebuild? Pros and Cons?
Many of us have experience doing this. Keep in mind that you should double your estimate for both time and money. It will be tough to completely restore it from top to bottom for less than 30K, doing all the work yourself. If you farm most of it out, good luck completing it for less than $50K. Those numbers depend on your definition of "completely restore". I've seen many cars advertised as such that clearly had no more than $2500 spent on them.

We like to see guys doing exactly what you plan on doing but please make sure you don't get in over your head with too little time or money or both. Otherwise, you'll end up with a garage ornament, a bad taste in your mouth and an empty wallet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts