Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys. I recently sold my '97 Ranger Flareside because it just wasn't right for me anymore. Sure, it was practical, but who wants practical? :rolleyes: Anyway, I exiled myself from the Ranger forums (rangerpowersports.com) and started hunting for a new stomping ground. You guys use vBulletin just like RPS so I think I have found a new home. :) Anyway, about my new project.

I just recently (yesterday) sealed the deal on a '69 XR7 with the 351 4 barrel V8 and 3spd auto tranny. This thing is in incredibly good shape since it was owned by an elderly woman who put a mere 51k miles (!!) on this thing the entire time she owned it. And she has owned it since June of '69. It is a cream color with a new black vinyl top, with white leather interior and even that is really really clean. I am having the water pump swapped out as we speak because it was leaking under pressure. But as of later today, I will be cruising in this thing and I can't wait.

Unfortunately, this car will be my daily driver. I am just wondering if you guys have any advice/tips for a guy just starting in the world of Cougars, like maybe anything you guys would have found helpful when you first started. Thanks for any input and I know I'll be seeing you all around very soon :D

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Welcome to the board. I dont understand why you said "Unfortunately" its a daily driver. I think it should be driven everyday, and showed off. Speaking of that any pictures of it you can share. Post a few if you can in the gallery.

RIck

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I said unfortunately because I hate to use such a nice car to get me to work/school, you know? I am going to try to keep the miles down. On top of that, going from a 4banger truck to a V8 causes a little concern for me as far as gas prices go.... I work part time in a grocery store so I don't really have a lot of cash to feed my car addiction.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, and I will have pics up by the end of the day hopefully. The guys over on RPS wanna see this thing too :D

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
If the car is properly tuned, it shouldnt be that bad on gas, hopefully. My daily driver is a 68 Fairlane Fastback with a 302. its my winter/summer/everyday car, when my cougar is on the road again (next month), it just might be weekend car. Keep checking in, lots of cool people here.

Rick

·
Registered
648 Posts
The one thing I have learned since joining the community in April is:

GET OUT YOUR WALLET!!!!

Seriously, there is a HUGE amount of information shared on this website and there always seems to be someone that has fixed or is in the process of fixing the same thing you are :) My 68 XR7 isn't a daily driver (I like my Harley too much to leave it sit too long) but I do use it for commuting once or twice a week and find that it makes the trip a lot more fun...

Good luck, welcome and congrats on such a nice find!

Ken

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Everything. Its been off the road for 7 years, and its finally bugging me so Im working my but off trying to put it on the road this year, its looking like it will, for abit anyways. Im rebuilding a Boss 351 stroker motor for it, put in subframe connectors, doing some bodywork, and then painting it. When its done I'll be cruizing everywhere, yahoooo!!!! I need a few small parts still but those arent important not to get it running.

Rick

·
Registered
173 Posts
Alex,
You are very lucky to find a low mile cat like this and to live away from the land of rust. I drove a 70 standard regularly for about 18 months. Best advice I can offer, make sure you have a good insurance company that will cover the car for what it's worth.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey Alex, I bought my Cougar with 51,000 miles on it a few months ago so I know how you feel about the daily driver thing. On one hand I want to drive it all the time and "show it off" but on the other I don't want to add too many miles and have it trashed (I get mad when it even gets dirty lol) Luckily we have other cars that we can drive every day. My advice is not to worry about driving it everyday. Drive it, but take care of it. And like the man says, be prepared to spend all your available cash lol

·
Registered
123 Posts
Welcome - always good to see another Socal Cat on the road. Just drive it! Low miles and daily driver are an oxymoron. Now that you've got a classic, you'll start noticing how many people here drive older cars on a daily basis.
If the engine is in good shape, I'd good with a elect ign on a driver (assuming you have points) and then look at the suspension/steering. Even with low miles the suspension is a high wear item, thanks to father time and the elements.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Classic Cat gas mileage

cmpcpro,

WOW, only 9mpg out of a 302? While I don't have too much throttle time behind stockers, my first Cat was a 72 with a 351C-2V. That car was good for around 17mpg on the road. I didn't have the opportunity to drive it much around town. It was strictly my go back and forth to away at college car.

My only other stock Classic is the wife's 70 Mach 351C-4V. We can pretty much count on 17-19mpg on the hiway and about 15mpg city with that one. It really surprised us when we drove it from Cleveland to Charlotte for the big 30th anniversary show in 94. I wasn't expecting the near 20mpg we got on that trip!

Once you start tinkering with performance goodies, you find that the first thing that happens is your mpg goes down the drain. I took AlphaCat on a long trip once and barely got 11 on the hiway. it only gets around 10 in town. You have to remember that AlphaCat will run high 12s in the quarter mile and has a high stall torque converter and 3.70 rear gears. BetaCat does a bit better since it is much closer to stock, around 15 hiway and 12 around town. Then again, I'm not exactly light on the gas pedal around town either. I love hearing that second-gear tire chirp!

·
Registered
433 Posts
ADVICE

I'm fairly new to the Cougar scene as well. Only advice I can give you so far is to keep an eye out for rust under the vinyl top. Thanks to that blasted vinyl top my cat is getting a roof transplant. Seriously though, I think Cougar's are a great car for first time re-storers. Parts are plentiful and relatively inexpensive so far as I can tell thanks to all those Mustangs out there. My friend is a Thunderbird guy. He's doing the legwork on my cat until I get home in November and he is jealous of how much is out there and the prices.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: ADVICE

kirkm76 said:
I'm fairly new to the Cougar scene as well. Only advice I can give you so far is to keep an eye out for rust under the vinyl top. Thanks to that blasted vinyl top my cat is getting a roof transplant.

:eek2: This one has a new vinyl on it which now makes me wonder if their reason for swapping it was...honest. Whats the best way to check to see if I am rusting under there? Seems like it would be a pain in the @$$...

·
Registered
866 Posts
My engine sucks fuel like theres no tomorrow. Worse since all the MSD stuff and electirc fuel pump. I'm sure this car will only run a mid 14 or so.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Alex - short of pulling the top, visually inspect for any irregularities that will show through the vinyl. The other thing I do is (and this takes a while) push with your thumb in a about a thousand different spots on the top. If you hear what sounds like Kelloggs corn flakes being smashed...well that ain't good.

·
Registered
866 Posts
calcat said:
If you hear what sounds like Kelloggs corn flakes being smashed...well that ain't good.
Maybe it's because its semi-late, but that is the funniest thing I have heard all night! :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts