Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!!!! im new to this community. my father owns a 1968 cougar that he has owned for 23 years now. i have finally gotten him into gear into getting the big cat back on the road so i have found this site in hope for help on anything we find and to show our progress and join a cougar community. now alittle background info.

my dad bought the car right before my sister was born used, in primer and in pretty poor shape. the car was originally a electric green i believe( atleast green) but the original owner had it repainted in 73 to a brown. well after my dad bought the car he messed with it here and there trying to make it what he wanted, he replaced the interior( carpets, steering wheel, seats from a newer cougar, headliner ect..) and was working on the car, he painted the car a black primer because he found a few junkyards around that had some cougars in them that he was snatching body parts off of. well around 2004 the engines timing chain skipped and that was all she really wrote. my dad put her in a garage to never be touched again. well recently i started building a 350 vortec for my camaro and i guess that got him into the mood to start getting the cougar together and back on the road. he asked me to find him and engine so i went on craigslist and found a crate 302 in a 77 ford ranger that has only been installed for 2 years. we go pick the engine up friday. i know the story is alittle off track but i dont know most of the details besides my dad trying to peice it together for 23 years including putting a junkyard 302 in( that skipped the timing chain) trying to fix the rusty and abused body,
taking the stock 4.11 rearend out, and just trying to do what he can.

hoping i found a good place for information and hopefully some nice new friends.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Watch the 'junkyard 302' since Ford made a lot of changes between '68 and today! They changed the balance from 28oz to 50oz in the early 80s, so you'd need the proper harmonic balancer and flywheel/flexplate. Also, if your dad's car is a manual trans, Ford started eliminating the threaded hold for the clutch Z-bar pivot in the '80s as well. Oh, and the changed the location of the timing marks/pointer, and oil dipstick. If the junkyard engine is a '85-later, chances are it does not have a provision on the timing cover for a mechanical fuel pump. 302s/5.0s in certain applications got a reverse-rotation water pump (for the serpentine belt pulley routing.)

·
Registered
913 Posts
Welcome to the site, and ask away, there are many people that can respond.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
cougarrjc, the engine i found for my dad isnt a junkyard motor, its a crate motor that a guy bought 2 years ago and put into a 77 ford ranger. im not sure where to find the information on it, but the engine is running and healthy, we got to hear it run and checked all the fluids out, it has a slight lope to it at idle. the current engine in the car is ready to pull, i started the process a few months ago but it got put on the back burner, the only bolts holding in the old engine in the cougar are the top 2 bellhousing bolts, and the two motor mount bolts. and the transmission is an automatic.

also a quick question, his power steering doesnt work and hes wanting to get it working again, he said his control valve and the power steering cylinder need to be replaced. are these easier to replace while the engine is out of the car? im going up to his house friday to pull the old engine and to get the new engine from the old owner. by saturday id like to have the new engine in the car and hooked up but im not sure on the steering componits. help? also hes wanting to convert to electronic ignition, can anyone tell me what needs to be bought so this can be done? the distributor on the new engine is set up for the electronic ignition already so i think all he needs is the control box and the wiring going from the box to the distributor correct?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool story. Working on a project with Pops is one of life's great pleasures. Enjoy & welcome.
the story is alittle off because i dont know all the facts on it. and i enjoy working on the cat with him, althought he keeps talking about junking the car because the body is in bad shape, although hes already replaced the floors and has the new metal for the trunk but i guess the frame rails in the back are starting to pop and their is some rust around the cowl, and just around the car all together. the body is in decent shape i think but it does need some loving but it is a 44 year old car so its to be expected. ill try and get some pictures this weekend, its not the prettiest but its his baby. right now we have the front doghouse off, so his friend who is a body man can look at the body and so we can remove the engine easier.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
The cowl is a common issue with Cougars/Mustangs, even with those that have led a sheltered life. I just don't think they ever drained properly.

The car sounds like a big job, no question, but if you look at the time you spend with your Dad working on the car as the goal itself, it will help you to place the "bigness" of the job in perspective, and help you both enjoy the moment.

I recently finished up a project with my father-in-law, a '66 Mustang coupe that he & my wife bought as her 1st car back in the day. I was stressed out at first over tackling another major restoration, but a good friend gave me the forgoing advice, and it changed my whole outlook. Six short years later, it's basically done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think it will get better once i get the new engine in and he can get in and drive it. i think hes doubting the project because hes forgetting his love for it because he hasnt messed with it since the chain slipped.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
i think it will get better once i get the new engine in and he can get in and drive it. i think hes doubting the project because hes forgetting his love for it because he hasnt messed with it since the chain slipped.
That is a great strategy (as long as the brakes work LOL).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is a great strategy (as long as the brakes work LOL).
If i remember correctly they do lol, we still need to get a ujoint bolt and some torque converter bolts aswell. but does anyone have any information on replace the steering componets i asked about, and about converting from points to the electronic ignition?

·
Registered
4,059 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thank you for all the welcomes guys!!! my dad told me he got the front fenders off and the hood off yesterday and the car is awaiting me for friday so i can yank the old 302., not really related to a cougar but i just found my grandpa( my dads dad) a 68 mustang that hes going to fix up and the old 302 in the cougar now is going to be rubuilt and put into the stang.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
also does anyone know if johns classic cougar still has catalogs? my dad has one from him and is wanting a more updated version.

·
Registered
104 Posts
What part of Indiana are you in?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts