Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I'm new to the board. I am president of the car club at my college and we just bought an 89 Cougar XR-7 supercharged to work on. It needs a new timing belt but is in great shape otherwise, with a moonroof and a custom blue paint job. I'm not too familiar with these cars, I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to make this job easier. Thanks in advance, and hopefully I will have some pics of the car up soon.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
First thing you need to do is if the old belt broke, is to make sure it did not bend any valves. I'm not sure if thats a problem on that engine bot is on many OHC 4 bangers. Then get a shop manual for the car. A chilton is better than none but not as good as a "Ford Shop Manual". Good luck, Neal.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
For clarification...

Fox Cougars are the 80-88, then the MN-12 from 89-97. The original 'Mustang' or Classic Cougars were 67-73, the Torino/T-Bird/LTD II full-frame Cougars from 74-79.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Ok, I got the point I got them mixed up, sorry about that. I hope I didnt confuse no1kicker with my post, and hope he got the belt fixed.

Rick

·
Registered
429 Posts
badcatt,

Starting in 89 they came w/ a natually asperated 3.8L or super charged 3.8L. Not a 4 banger. You are thinking of the old 2.3 turbo of the fox body cougars. One is a supercoupe the other is a turbocoupe. I can't remimber when the 5.0 became an option, I think maybe 91. Then in 96 it was just the natural 3.8 or the 4.6. No more superchargers. I had a 96 Tbird. Black w/ dark tint, hopped up 4.6L (250HP), grey leather interior. What a fine machine it was.

Austin

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
opps, sorry. I do know the older Cougarsbetter. Good luck., Neal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts