Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 69 Cougar:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&item=120829674883&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

There's some pretty obvious bodywork that needs addressing : /

The car has what is supposed to be the original 351w, and the original 3 speed tranny, I'm guessing an FMX.

I'm wanting to start "refreshing" the car immediately, starting with the suspension and brakes. I don't know what options I'll have available to me for the engine and tranny though.

I'm not looking for extreme performance, I'd like to be able to drive this a few times a week without it being too impractical. And of course, I'd like to do it for a reasonable price. What configuration would you suggest?

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
913 Posts
If this is a 351W 4V and it runs good, I would leave it be, if its a 2V you might up grade to a 4V aluminum and 600 carb., but these engines are pretty good the way they are. The more perf. parts you throw at it, the harder it is to drive and enjoy, I know There will be more feedback on this, but I have done them both ways and a smooth driving car is best.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a 4v, and that's great to hear. So for the rebuild, maybe some forged pistons, rods for a 351w truck engine, and a slight bore on the heads? I don't want a hot rod, just a responsive, smooth ride.

What about the FMX? I have no experience with this transmission in any application. Should I just bite the bullet and swap in a decently built c4, or just rebuild the FMX?

Thanks for the response

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Your car looks like mine, only better! Clean up yields big results in the image department. As far as upgrades go, electronic ignition is a must, HUGE deal. I would also look at a 600 Holley, and aluminum intake. 2 1/2 inch exhaust, long tube headers probably, but not necessary. A shift kit will help the car feel snappy. I have a built FMX in my 69, and it is a solid transmission. Don't fall for the trap of either a bullet proof C4 or C6, Keep what you have. It can be made plenty strong, and no fabrication hassles. The other stuff you need can be found at lots of places, Mustangs Unlimited, West Coast Classic Cougar, John's in Michigan. The soft (trim/interior) stuff is easy. Why not add your location to your profile? There may be somebody near that can help you out...

·
Registered
390 Posts
I wouldn't touch anything till I verified the integrity of the torque boxes and frame rails. Assuming thats all good a green light to dive in. The vinyl would be the first to go, not that I don't like them it's just the rough spots underneath that the seller mentioned means there is considerable rust and moisture trapped under there is doing more damage as we speak.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The FMX is a good, solid 3 speed automatic. Nothing wrong with it except it is a little heavy and only has 3 gears (no overdrive). Your car came from the factory with an H for engine code. In 1969 that means it was a 351W (first year of the 351W) and had a 2bbl carb. If it were a M code it would have a 4bbl carb and the pistons would give it a little more compression. It came with the same heads for the M or H code for the 351 Windsor engine. That engine is a good size for a car that you say you are not looking for a hot rod. All sorts of potential if you wanted to hot rod it.

Put a head liner in it and clean it up and drive it. The red with black top looks good. BTW, please put some sort of sound proofing above the head liner before you install it.

John

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice guys, very good info.

Yah the vinyl will go first, I'm very afraid of what's under there. After that brakes and suspension. I'm anal about brakes.

I have a lot of questions about part compatibility between our cougars and the mustangs - I'll ask those in the appropriate forums though. Thanks again!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Well from a general standpoint, some suspension and most engine cradle parts, plus some glass interchange, but most of the stuff outside of those catagories that cougars need, are cougar-only parts. There are a lot of false rumors of vast interchangeability between cougar and mustang.

Kevin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts