Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my father and I picked up a 1967 Cougar, Vin 7F93SXXXXXX. The research I found shows this to be a XR-7 GT car, but I wanted a second opinion from some experts out there. The data I found says only 2653 of the 1967's had both options, no one around here moved on the car so I was worried. It does have the 390 with a C6, it is nearly a complete car with the correct XR-7 items and what I can tell the motor and front disc brakes would have been from the GT package. We have ordered a Marti report to confirm our info, but I thought I would check around.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
The vin verifies its a XR7 and that it has the S code 390 GT engine, But the engine could be ordered without the GT package. The Marti Report will tell you for sure. Post the door data tag info and we can tell you more about your car...Please post pics as we love photo's...

·
Registered
349 Posts
If your door data plate has a D/E/F/U or V along with a number in the Date Code, there's a good possibility a Buck Tag has been installed. With the hood up, look on the passenger side radiator support next to the hood bumper for a buck tag the same size as your door data plate. If you see GT anywhere on this tag, you've confirmed a GT option.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Desertdave, this would be true for a Mustang, built in Dearborn, equipped with the Performance Image Option, but Cougars don't have the GT stamp on the Buck tag in '67.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Desertdave, this would be true for a Mustang, built in Dearborn, equipped with the Performance Image Option, but Cougars don't have the GT stamp on the Buck tag in '67.
Oops. I need to review the tag book again to see where I erred. Thanks for the correction!

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I would not know this except that I have a '67 XR7 GT and it has its buck tag attached. The reason that there was not a punch code for GT was that it did not require any additional holes to be punched in the buck when it was being built prior to paint. So the items on the buck tag, like STERO (Stereo) that required the speaker holes in the kick panel area to be cut out, got noted, while items like deluxe belts that just bolted in place, would not be noted. Fenders were not running down the line with the buck, so they go their own build order.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I do have a late year Cougar (148,738 one built), so there was a V in the date code on my data plate. I found the Buck Tag and it shows that it has a black vinyl roof and power brakes, but no mention of the GT package. I will post the data plate info. below:

65B I 6A 03V 54 1 U

I have worked the vin, data plate and now Buck tag over and located all the codes, but still alittle worried about the GT package. I was in a light snow at 2 am last night checking numbers, as we don't have it in the shop yet because it came with a pick-up load of parts that currently covers the shop floor.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
65B Model XR7,
I Paint Lime Gold
6A Trim Charcoal Black
03V Date 03/08/1967
54 DSO Seattle
1 Axle 3.00
U Trans C6.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
65B Model XR7,
I Paint Lime Gold
6A Trim Charcoal Black
03V Date 03/08/1967
54 DSO Seattle
1 Axle 3.00
U Trans C6.
Hey Don, just a slight correction on the date code. 03V, would be for the 3rd day (03) of August (V), 1967. John :)

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Deenutz: the buck tag for a Cougar does not indicate the GT option. That means that NOT finding GT doesn't mean you car is not a GT. GT doesn't appear on Cougar buck tags. You will need to get the Marti report to verify the GT option.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The vin verifies its a XR7 and that it has the S code 390 GT engine, But the engine could be ordered without the GT package. The Marti Report will tell you for sure. Post the door data tag info and we can tell you more about your car...Please post pics as we love photo's...
If it is a GT car, aside from the 390 with duel exhaust you might look for a few other GT clues. Chrome "powered by ford" valve covers, chrome handled oil dip stick handle and chrome air cleaner lid with screens in the sides of the cleaner. 6" wide rims as well.

Even if it is not a GT, a non-GT car with a 390 and disk breaks (should be 4 piston kelsey hayes) is half the way there and might be a rarer car but maybe not more desirable.

In Cougar by The Numbers shows
2657 '67 XR7 Hard Tops with a 390 and
2653 '67 XR7 GTs.
Stepping out on a limb here but could this mean there are only four XR7 (non-GT) 390 67 built?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
A few items that might still be there that were part of the 67 GT package were chrome "powered by ford" valve covers, chrome dipstick handle and chrome air cleaner top with screens on the air cleaner itself. The disk breaks where also included so if a couple of others are still there you are probably looking at a GT.

Even if it is a XR7 390 car (not a GT).still kinda rare. according to cougar by the numbers, there were 2657 XR7 Hard Tops w 390 and 2353 XR7 GTs built in 67, Now, if all GT cars had a 390 - sounds low but wouldn't that give only 4 XR7 (non-GT) with a 390?
Using your numbers there would be 304 istead of 4.

·
Registered
238 Posts
correction - 2657 XR7 Hard Top w 390 - 2653 XR7 GTs. = 4 XR7 390 (non XR7) cars. So the odds are on not a non GT XR7.

Are any emblems left on the car like "G.T." on the front fenders just forward of the doors?

again....Picks!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It does have the GT emblems, but in its 44 year life I know they could have been added. I was just looking for hard evidence that it was a true XR-7/GT car. It looks like the Marti Report will be the final say.

I will work on photos, the one I just tried said it was too big.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I didn't see anybody mention it; so I'll be the one to say "Welcome to the madness!" Looks like your Cat has you jumping right into the deep end. The "Senior Members" around here will get your question sorted out fairly quickly; there's a wealth of knowledge.

Why does your screen name look familiar to me? Do you use it on any other forum?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts