Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'd like to say hello. I'm 17, been looking at classic cars for some time now, and am looking for something to work on and enjoy. Username is just "Andy" spelt backwards.

I finally have some cash to look for a car, and I came across a cougar that I think is a really good deal, and I'd like your opinions.

First off, here are the photos of the car:

http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t210/sk8nkill/1969 Cougar xr7/#!cpZZ2QQtppZZ16

Its definitely a project. I've seen it in person, and talked to the current owner quite a bit. He is asking $2,000, firm on price.

The brakes and front end were redone about 15 years ago, and then the car sat in a barn. Five years ago, the engine and transmission were rebuilt. The engine is a 351w, currently has a 4V Holley 600cfm carb. The car was factory automatic, whoever had it before this seller, put a close ratio, big block top loader in the car. Its also got a 9" rear end.

Now, I know a 351w isn't a big block, but the tranny does function with the engine. I've been told there are ways that they can be connected, I'm not sure how it was done though.

The seller bought the car about 6 months ago, thinking about restoring it, but he has a 67 Shelby and a 68 Shelby that eat up his money. (They're beautiful). The car was on non op, it went off of it with the sale for some reason.

The car is very solid, the only bondo on it is the driver side door and fender. Which, the seller has a friend that can get me those for a good deal.

The frame and subframe look really solid, floors aren't rusty, torque boxes aren't rusty, quarter panels aren't rusty. That's all from looking at the car.

When he got the car, he did an oil change and started it up. The car started up perfectly, sounded great, he really revved it up, no problems. The transmission felt really good, no slop, shifted well. I didn't drive it because the brakes are a little iffy, but he said if I come out again, we can take it on the road and take it around the block to show that it does move under its own power.

The trunk lock is out, eyelids, back seat, driver quarter window, lots of stuff, but he opened the trunk, and almost everything if not all of it was inside, intact.

Sorry there is a lot of info here, and its a bit scattered, I was trying my best to remember all the details.

I have all the tools, and my Dad and a good friend of mine can help me out quite a bit.

My Dad hasn't seen it himself, but he thinks its not worth it, I'm trying to get him out to the car, but its a good hour and a half drive away, and he is pretty busy.

I'm grateful for any advice you can give me.

Thanks, Andy.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Welcome, Andy.

That 1969 XR7 looks like it has potential.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That is a big project. Be careful as it can be difficult locating parts. I personally would not pay $2,000 for that car. Good luck!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Welcome Andy, As you may see in your quest for an classic ride,...Cougars have unique styling. Standard models included; hide-a-way headlights, sequential tail lights, bucket seats, floor shifters and all have V-8 motors. Cougars, being a Ford product, share driveline and basic hardware components with the Mustang and styling cues from Shelby Mustangs and the Thunderbird. Now this may not be important to you,...but the ladies love Cougars and I get as many girls as guys that come up to me wanting to talk about my ride,..like I said, it may not be important to you,,,,,but an interesting statistic.

.......now back to this XR7. Andy, you can get a lot of Cougar for a little more money. What I would want is a car that can be registered,....you know,... goes, stops, turns, can be driven in the dark and is not falling apart from rust damage. California has lots of good Cougars for sale,... one of our members in San Jose, just sold a nice project 67 XR7, complete and needing TLC http://gallery.me.com/my69xr7rocks#100025&bgcolor=black&view=grid. Keep looking and stay with us,...Cougars are an "under the radar" muscle car and you can get a well optioned, mostly complete and running car for 1/3 the money it would take to put that one on the road. Side note: From what I can surmise by the photos $750.-$1,000.00 would be top dollar for that car and that's if it had minimal rust and the drivetrain and basic electrical were functional.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
i agree with 67.5 xr7 , thats waaay to much for that car, its rough, almost parts car status. i paid 3k for mine in 07 and it is clean, compplete and a non runner. being california, you have a resource that many of us wish we had . and acess to rust free cars! i didnt mind paying 3 for mine as i knew it was clean (never mind the surface rust) heres what mine looked like when i brought her home

·
Registered
913 Posts
Hi Andy, and welcome. About the Cougar, I'm not saying that the car is not worth the money, just that you can do better, to start with a car that needs that much repair is quite an undertaking for a young man . Look around and you can find a better Cougar to start with. We will be here to help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Alright, sounds like I should do some more looking. I'd like to see it again, and see if all the electrical is working.

I've been trying to find the right car in general, and its been a challenge at my price range.

My main requirement for a car is it has to have a 4 speed. I know its possible to switch out the transmissions, but that's more work then I want to get myself into.

Finding any running, classic car with a v8 and a 4 speed for less then 3k is pretty much impossible. Especially when you're looking at mustangs, 1st gen camaros, etc, those kinds of cars.

The car would be a definite restomod. If I were to buy it, I'd go through the brakes, check brake lines, check fuel lines, get the car driveable, get it registered, and drive it while I restore it. The only rust on it is that little spot around the rear window, and on the driver side door, which I would replace ASAP.

Over the summer I'm going to have a full time job that pays really well, allowing me to invest some money in the car, and spend my weekends working on it.

The value of the transmission, rear end, and engine are worth more then what he is asking for the car as well. That 4 speed is worth anywhere from 1k to 2k alone. And with the car he is giving some ported 4v heads that are pretty nice.

·
Registered
508 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
i like choices 1, 2 ,3 that last one sounds like trouble!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All those cars are nice, but I'm really looking for something with a 4 speed. That's a big part of the car for me. I much prefer a manual transmission.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Get one with the automatic and replace it later with a T5 5speed from a wrecked fox Mustang. Better than a 4 speed without overdrive.
Don't buy that one just because it has the top loader. Restomods need 5 speed anyway. :)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Just threw a few on the board that may be in your price range.....Lots of fairly priced Cougars in your area. I'm with medbali76.....T5 conversions are a common upgrade and there are many suppliers that carry the parts required for a bolt in installation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts