Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a 1967 cougar for around 2 years now. I bought it for next to nothing and decided that it could be restored.

All it really needs are the floor pans. they are rusted out at every place in the car that could possibly see feet. ohter than that, the car is perfect body wise.

any good catalogs for buying parts? any advice for a new cougar lover?

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Welcome aboard.....Try Autokrafters, Mustangs unlimited has a Cougar catalog, also John's Classic Cougar. All 3 can be found on the web. As far as any advice, I think the best would be "Patience". They'll drive you crazy with problems sometimes, but there's always a solution.

Steve:lolani:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Welcome to the Cougar club. Get ready for bloody knuckles and a lot of tears. :) Somehow it's worth it though. What's your Cougar like? Could you post the info from the door data plate?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, according to the VIN and data plates....

She is a 1967 standard hard-top which came with a 289 4bbl( unfortunately someone swapped it with a mid 70's model 302). New she was polar white but now is mettalic blue, rust, and primer gray.

The interior is black vinyl(original and in great shape)...she has a 3.00 non-locking rearend and a C-4 automatic.

It looks like someone took really good care of her and possibly partially restored it at some point. Other than some minor body rust (surface mostly) and the floor pans being see-through, I got a great deal.

It ran when I first recieved it after a tune-up and lots of carb cleaner...but then the rear main seal let go in the garage, so I decided to do a complete rebuild. So far all I have accomplished is tearing it apart.

I wouldn't mind finding the 390 that was also an engine option and going back "stock" more or less.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Amen. My dream is a 67 390 XR7, fully original in and out. Of course I'd have to sell the back 40 to afford one, so it'll be a dream for a while. Shame your 289-4V is missing, but with a nice interior and mostly solid structure, sounds like you've got a good place to start from. And floors? We don't need no steenking floors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I would have the cash to bid on those...but my truck just crapped out on me, so the cougar will have to wait yet again.

Also, I found a site that specializes in cougar engines. They are all re-manufactured and come with a pretty good warranty. Supposedly, the numbers will match. They do require a core though...

Here is the link if anyone is interested.......

http://www.rebuilt-auto-car-engines.com/mercury-cougar_64_98-parts.html

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome aboard.....Try Autokrafters, Mustangs unlimited has a Cougar catalog, also John's Classic Cougar. All 3 can be found on the web. As far as any advice, I think the best would be "Patience". They'll drive you crazy with problems sometimes, but there's always a solution.

Steve:lolani:
What a coincidence I also had a 87 Supra and the 79 Cougar was my first car. In 79 mind you, not bad for a 19 y.o.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts