Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welcome to the new Tech forum! The intention of this forum is for technical discussions.

This is in an effort to make technical data on the classic cougar a little easier to find.

Threads that develop into "How-to's" or include important or valuable information will be flagged to make them easy to find.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I agree! Great idea!

The first "how to" that I want to see is "how to" build a '67/'68 convertible! What's worse is I know most of what is needed and just missed out on a '67 Mustang convertable donor car that was only $300!

·
Registered
365 Posts
hmmm...what kind of questions can I ask in this tech forum? Example: Can I ask: Does anyone have pictures of '70 sport mirrors on there 67 or 68? Do they use the same mounting points?

Good Idea though!

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
check out my gallery and you will find the link to mustangs unlimited for their hardtop convertable it is a 3500.00 conversion. the biggest thing is structural integrity the vert has allot of things that a hardtop does not in the under carriage to try and make up for a lack of rigidity. hope you enjoy welding. Another thing i have heard through the rumor mill since i only know of about 4 cars this has actually been done to is that the bows on the top have to be modified. When all is said and done it is probably cheaper to find a nice 69 or 70 drop head and that is why many havent been done it can get real expensive when you start to modify a body and unless you have done major body work in the class of a street chop rod i would not advise it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just the forum I was looking for.
How do I install rear discs on a 68?
What all do I have to procure and is it worth it?
Thanks,
John B.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
in answer to your brake question. yes you can install them but they are expensive around the 700.00 range. best thing to buy is the kit from one of the many manufactures who support our cats. now as to the real question why would you want to? 80 percent of your braking is on the front brakes so on the front they are great but the rear really dont need it and with the emergency brake works better with drums. the drums have more then adequate power for what they do. Unless your looking for bragging rights or road racing the drums are more than enough for your rear end. Just my $1.00 used to be 10 cents but with gas prices what they are inflation has taken over.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hey folks,
I have seen lots of 351C listed in here and an occassional 351W.
The other day at work the guys were talking about engines and someone piped up that the W was the better of the two.
What is the differences in the two and (just for arguments sake) which is the better of the two.
John B.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
All in all (I'm SURE at least one person will argue with this one but here goes anyway :D) the 351W is a MUCH better engine... The C engines had BAD oiling systems. They had weak connecting rods (I personally had a W engine with stock rods {balanced of course with better rod bolts also} that I raced and shifted at 7500 for several years) and alot of crank trouble. They had awesome heads but not enough bottom end to live up to them. The heads were actually too bid in some respects. Back to the point though, you can build a windsor for less cash that will run better and last much much longer than a Cleveland.
My .02...or no wait my .50.... I'm with cougarguy and the inflation thing. :lol2:
Scott

·
Registered
220 Posts
itow,
I was told that they have two different sizeblocks. Is one of them a bigblock and the other a small block? I quess I'm confused, but I seem to stay that way alot.
John B.

·
Registered
103 Posts
itow I am surprised you find the bottom end of a 351C weak?!? :confused:
Pro-stock racers have been running them with stock cranks for years????
Now if you had said 428 or 390 had crank and oiling problems I would agree.

jjoohhnnbb - 351W and 351C are two totally different engines.
A 351W is based on a 289/302 with a longer stroke.
Lots of the parts interchange between them. 289/302/351W
351W is a good street strip engine. You can build them with good torque and hp across all rpm's with little work that will run nicely on pump gas.

In 1970 the 351C was a new engine of its own that does not have any parts common with the 351W/302/289 (ok you can swap 351C heads on to a 351W but it isn't exactly a backyard bolt on)
The 351C-4V was a factory high-performance engine much like the 302 or 429 Boss with huge canted valves and huge ports and high compression making almost no torque at lower rpms and just begging to be spun to 7500rpm around an oval. Not great for a street/strip engine but with that potential to be a monster if you have the big $$$$ to build an all out motor. Personally I would rather spend the money on a nice stroker 460 although I have always wanted to experiment with a 351C with a big blower. :D Force that air into those big ports instead of trying to trick it into breathing.

So to answer your question on which is better I guess it just depends on what you want to use it for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts