Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Me and my buddies from work all piled in the cougar to go to lunch today. The car scraped when I turned, when I stoped, when....well just about the whole time. The suspension is shot! I going all out and I'm going to replace everything. Back end first, then a month or two later, the front. My question is, what is different between the cougar and mustang suspension? Are the leaf spring in back longer? What else.

Thanks
Austin

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Most suspension pieces are the same, but the leaf springs are totally different. Check to a local spring repair shop to get yours re-arched, it's alot cheaper and you know they will fit right.

Rick

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'm planning to do the same thing as dablack this summer but I planned on purchasing new springs (maybe from the same place Logan got his) until you mentioned getting them re-arched?

Re-arching may be a viable solution and I'm wondering if there is a cost saving that would justify re-arching over purchasing new leafs but I can't help but think that a brand new set of springs is just going to be more crisp and last longer.

The leafs under my car may very well be originals and after 30+ years that the metal has fatigued somewhat. It seems to me that re-arching may not be the best long term solution.

You can only bend metal so much before it's useless and has to be thrown out. :1poke:

·
Registered
794 Posts
I found that the mustang/cougar front suspension is the same for 68-70 with the difference being in 67. The 67 uses a different strut rod with a bushing on the LCA side. I guess the design stunk cus the did away with it in 68. I can guess that the 67 LCA is also different to accomodate the difference in mounting for the strut rod.

I have a 67 and got the 68 rebuild kit and some used 68 strut rods. I'm doing my front suspension next week. :D

·
Registered
794 Posts
used strut rods..................50
big arse rebuild kit...........300
manual sterring adapter..115
650lb springs.....................65
wheel bearings, etc,..........50
shocks.............................100

about 800 or so

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
evilmess, I cant give a price in US funds, (Im Canadian) but the cost advantage of re-arching over replacing with new is alot cheaper. I work in a spring shop and we examine the leaves before re-arching, or if we hit them and they break, then we replace. Here we charge 40. Can. a leaf to replace (cut, arched replaced), so if all are broken, it gets pricey. But they dont all usually break, it's usually 1 or 2 a side. If you get them re-arched, get them about 1 1/2in. over stock, they will settle and be near stock height (maybe abit higher). Usually if you need a whole new spring pack, it will be cheaper then 40. each. I made my own leaves for my Cougar at work and it was cheaper then buying new ones ( even without a discount it would of been) plus shipping. Made the main leave, bent the eyes, made them to my specs,added an extra leave and gave it an extra 1 1/2 inch height for settling. I paid 250. Can. for mine, (around 200.US) so it was cheaper. Talk to a spring shop near you and ask alot of questions. It just might be cheaper and quicker getting yours done.

Rick

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hmmm...tired leaf springs must be a characteristic of our species :D

I am planning to do the same this summer. My cat is a bit saggy in the rear and is made even worse since the cast iron intake is sitting on the garage floor. I checked with John's Classic Cougars and got the following quote:

'68 Standard Springs: $175.00 set
HD $195.00 set
4 Spring Pads: $8.50 each
U-bolts: $18.00 set of 4

ALL PRICES + SHIPPING & HANDLING CHARGES.

I am also going to check the local spring shops first, but I thought this was a pretty good deal...

Ken

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys,

Yeah, I thought it was only the leaf springs but I wanted to make sure. The PO put air shocks on the rear but only has one fill line. That means when I round a corner the one on the outside of the curve compresses and pumps up the inside one. NOT GOOD! I'm going to go w/ the standard springs w/ some adjustable drag shocks. Yeah baby! Did I mention that I have some 15x10s in the back? I know, they stick out a little but it scares the crap out of all the mustangs and camaros out there. They think I really have something. If they only knew it was a stock 84 302 w/ 175HP.

Austin

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
kvinmn, that is a good price. I was just saying getting them made up was cheaper for me just because I live in Canada. Include shipping, duty, taxes and exchange, and for a 200 US pair of springs comes to around 300-350.US (500-550.Can.).

Rick

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm not quite at the pot O' gold at the end of the rainbow, but I'm close. I'm working at my desk wondering how to get that last front bolt out of my 68 std leaf spring. 1 came right out, the drivers side is being a bugger. I'm thinking slipping a cutoff wheel up alongside the bushing and cutting both sides. Tried a sawzall but got bogged down in the rubber bushing. I put (am putting) new leaf springs in, $150 for the springs, $25 for new rear shackle kits (2) and the front bushings came with the springs. The springs say USA, the front bushing says our brothers south of the border, rubber seems to be high quality and the fit has been excellent. I don't have the ride height yet as the car is still blocked up. I'll keep all y'all posted later today after a second wave assault over lunch break.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I got my springs from a place called Ron's Auto Salvage, his number is (319)267-2871. If you call him, please mention my name, Ron DeHart. He specializes in older cars, he's got ACRES of them, many are very rare these days. He's got a line on new parts as well. He's got 3 '67 Cougars, at least 1 68', and some 69-70's too. The 67 & 8's are pretty picked over. As far as using a giant hammer, my solution to everything is to apply more horsepower; if I could, I would have already. The problem is the location, can't get a good crack at her. Something almost joyful about taking out some aggression by beating the stuffin' out of something with a big hammer. But we should qualify "big", we have a pile hammer here at work with a 4,200 # ram, that hits with about a 10' stroke. We drove some 14" H pile inside of Nucor Steels' plant in Norfolk, NE to about 80 tons of bearing; it was AWESOME!!! Big RED HOT billets of steel being rolled right next to us, even the steel mill guys thought it was raucus.

Ron.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Ron, since you have new springs and bushings, and after all the hacking you did on the bolt, I guess the only thing left is to torch it out. We do that if there is new springs, it sure beats fightin with it.

Rick

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well it was a long lunch break but I fought it out and won. Used a 4" cutoff wheel on an air whizzer, also my 4" angle head grinder. WHAT A BATTLE!! The car sits MUCH higher, I have adjustable mounts where the rear end attaches to the spring, part of the floating axle necessary for running ladder bars. I could lower it, which I may, by dropping into a lower set of bolt holes. I'm sure happy to be on the back side of that task!! Teeth marks all over whats left of the front bushing and spring loop!! Garage stinks of burning rubber due to the grinder on the bushing!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I too had a problem removing one eyebolt from the leaf springs. One side was off in less than 15 minutes, and one side took a day because of the eyebolt. I ended using a cut-off wheel. I cut the leaf at the front, then the outer sleeve and then the bushing. The bolt was still seized to the inner sleeve-hardened steel of course. After cutting the sleeve and bolt I still needed an air chisel to break it loose. This appears to be a common problem with 30+ year old leaf springs.

Steve

·
Registered
138 Posts
Suspension Questions

Hey Dark,

If your out there, I'm new to the board and you seem to be the guy who knows about suspensions. I would like to put a coil over/ladder bar suspension under my 68 Cougar but I don't want to cut it up for wheel tubs. I just want the largest tire I can get with an adjustable suspension that will handle the 500+hp engine I'm putting in it.

Can this be done or would I have to put a rear clip in it? Am I better off leaving the leaf spring set up? Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Hey, sorry, Im only into the stock suspension. I havent played with ladder bar or any other set-up like that. I have a good friend that can answer that, he builds race cars, so its a phone call away. Let me know exactally what you want to do, and I will relay the message.

Rick

1 - 20 of 20 Posts