Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of the rumor that a new cougar will be joining us soon? 2003 or 2004 due date? It is supposed to be based on the new mustang due out soon also. This mustang will be a "musclecar" and retro to the 1969-1970 Mustangs. I HOPE the cougar joins this group of retro cars!

If anyone has info on this, please give a url site address!

George

·
Registered
314 Posts
The July 01 issue of HOT ROD ran a small article on the return of the RWD cougar, sharing the 'stang platform. They metion blueovalnews.com as a source of info.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I haven't seen much about it. I've read the blueoval.com article. The new 2004? Mustang is supposed to built at the Flatrock plant where the Cougar and Mazda are. No pics of the Mustang either, the spies aren't doing their homework!!!!!!!!!!

Tim B

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I can tell you that I know a dealeship owner who was invited to the proving grounds a few months back and was shown the '04 prototypes, including a prototype Cougar...

Obviously, he couldn't take a pic... :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
If it's a cool cat that looks good, tt way just be my next car too - first new car. I know it's supposed to be just like the mustangs and since i here the mustangs are going to have 302 again then the cougar should have one as well. - Chad

·
Registered
364 Posts
with all apologies to new cougar owners...

since, in my opinion, they blew it with the design they have now, it wouldn't surprise me to see a new design soon. with the retro t-bird selling for up to $15,000 over sticker, though, expect to either pay through the nose or wait a few years after the debut to buy one.

it's about time they returned to a linked mustang/cougar line, don't you think?

·
Registered
314 Posts
It's about time they return the Cougar to its roots! What were they thinking when they took a *****in' car and over the years turned it into an FWD that is meant to be sales competion for imports.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
He couldn't reveal any details about it, as they were under gag orders from ford. I was pretty lucky even to have him tell me he actually saw the prototype...

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Cougar platforms

Cougars have been based on Mustang platforms twice in their history. I'm ready for one more try at it. How 'bout you?

Of course the first is our 'Classic Cats' of 67-73. Then they deviated and went to the Torino/T-bird full frame chassis for 74-79. Then they were back to the Mustang (Fox platform) for 80-88. Then to the xx-12 (no those aren't supposed to be x's but I'm experiencing a good case of brain-fade right now), then to the stupid ashed FWD piece of %$#& they have had for the past few years.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Senior moment is over, I think

How about PC-12?

I'm getting too old for this...

Senior Motorhead, out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The plateform everyone forgot it MN-12. I, too, hope to see a new retro Cougar, even though I was not alive to see the original, I always liked their styling. I will buy one used, if I get one.

I registered just to post this message

:1poke:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts