Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to put new springs under my 69. I know ther was a thread a while back about it, but I was wounderin whats a good place to get them and what kind of info do they need as far as specs go? I plan on lifting it about an inch and was woundering if anyone has done the same and had a pick to see the result. I dont want to novafy it.

·
Registered
906 Posts
My son and I just put new springs front and rear on his 69 conv. Refer to PST problems thread posted last week. By putting the 1" lowering in front and the "factory specs" rear, the car went up nearly 4" in the rear. We are in the process of removing the rear leafs purchased from Mustangs Unlimited for $220 and taking them to Tampa Spring here locally and having them rearched to lower them, hopefully. Be careful what you ask for, some times you get more. We only wanted about an inch rise.
Several vendors sell them. John's Cougars are $225 and take 2-3 weeks, Auto Krafters $180 and 3-4 weeks, Ken's Cougars are about $225, PST's are $250 and also custom made. The mechanic cut the old leafs off and we needed them right away and the only one was Mustangs Unlimted who had them in stock. Don't buy Mustang ones as they are too short. If someone else knows of somewhere cheaper and better, I would also like to know because I still have another set I need to buy for another project. Good luck and I hope this has been helpful.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
About fifteen years ago I bought a set replacement rear leaf springs for AlphaCat (my 73) from J.C. Whitney. I believe the price back then was $120 for the pair including shipping!

Well, I just got around to installing them a couple of months ago. These were supposed to be stock replacements, but I don't know... Right now the car is just a bare body shell, but at least it is sitting on its own 'feet' for the first time in sixteen years. Now you ask about the 'I don't know'. Well, the body sits awful high right now. I don't know how much it will go down when I get the engine, trans and interior back in it. We'll have to wait and see. Before the restoration started, AlphaCat's original springs were broken because of the rust between the leaves, so I had gotten a set of 'rebuilt' springs but those hadn't helped much. That's why I opted to go with a set of new springs this time around when I 'restored' the car.

If these new springs prove to be too high I'll have to take them to a local spring shop to be re-arched to a more managable height.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I'm planning on new springs this winter as well. I'm pretty sure I am going to bring them to a shop here in Minneapolis and have them re-arched. I am looking for about a 1 inch drop to match the 'Shelby' mod I'm going to do on the front.

Ken

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
http://www.espo.com/

someone posted this site a while back and they seem to have springs for damn near anything at reasonable prices. they will even build a set that has a 1" or 2" drop to it as well. i think im gonna go with them when its time for me to slap new springs on the cat. my fenderlips are about even with the top of the tire as is now. well, almost. i can get maybe one finger between them when the car has nobody in it.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I used Detroit-Eaton Spring. I did mine twice to get the correct height. Others I know have used Espo , MU and other vendors, who also did their springs at least twice. While I know customer service from Detroit-Eaton and Espo was very good, it still required doing it twice. Of course you can get pretty quick at this job. If i had to do springs again, I would take it to a local spring shop, tell them the height I want, and let them do it.

Make sure to see if you can remove the front eyebolts on both sides before going far with your project. While the nut will come off, it is not uncommon to have the eyebolt on one side seized to the inside metal sleeve (hardened steel of course). When this happens it can take a day or a day and a half to do one side, instead of an hour.

Steve

·
Registered
15 Posts
I put Ford Motorsport lowering springs on my 89 Mustang GT. Worse mod I ever did to a car, the springs lowered the car about an inch, but were so stiff it about shock the filling out of my teeth. I'm not a spring chicken anymore, I like a nice soft ride and am willing to put up with a little less cornering ability to get it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thanks for the info. I'm mainly woried about tire clearance and I dont want to bend the seam where the fender and the stainless meet just to have clearance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts