Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got some new tires for my 67. Looks niiiice! I put 235/60 14
on the back and 215/70 14 on the front. Cooper Cobra GTs.
Now she sits even. When I got her some years ago she had new
195/60s all the way around looked bad but didn't want to get new tires untill I got rims. Got the Z Raicing rims from Sears last year and the new tires today. Thanks for leting me share.:D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Good selection, I bet it looks great! I have to get new wheels and tires for my 71. It still has the originals. Any suggestions on size??

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Gatorphan,

I have a set of 215/70/14s on one of my 73 Cats on 14x6" painted Magnums, and G-60-14s on the 14x7 painted magnums. About the biggest 14" tire you can find anymore is a 245/60. If you go with 15" wheels, that opens up the sizing options a bit. Then again, you can find 16" wheels pretty cheap these days.

I traded off my 14x7 aluminum slots that I had on AlphaCat, and want something a little more up-to-date size-wise. I wouldn't want to go any wider than the 245 section width or you'll run into spacing/rubbing problems. I'm thinking a 235/60/15 or 16 would fit the bill nicely. Now I just have to decide on a rim style... I wonder how the 16x7 deep dish aluminum lacyspoke handling package wheels from my 96 Crown Vic would look on my Cat (with the appropriate center cap of course!) Aaaah, it's all personal preference but try to stick with something 'period' for your car and you can't go wrong!

·
Registered
669 Posts
I put 235/60/14 on all four corners on my '68 years back. Then switched back to 195/75/14 for an original look but kept breaking them loose on acceleration and didn't really like the look from the back so went back to 235/60/14 all the way around. Looks wild!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its all what you would perfer. Take time in seleting cause you will want to live with them for awhile. I took about a year to decide on the rims, and when I was ready to buy the tires I did alot of shoping. I had cooper cobras on my truck and really liked the way they handle in the rain. I looked at goodyear and firestone but got alot of flak from the salesmen. They wanted to put those jap tires on it but I like American. Nikes are ok for your feet but I don't like on my cat. I don't know if you can tell in my picture but the back tires on her are japs. As far as wheel size, well I myself would stay with what your car came with.
Well got to run tonights my wifes 6 year b-day without drugs or alcohol. Thanks for letting me share.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi Cougar Nuts,
I think my wife decided on the wheels. She wants the Cragar SS mags (go figure) I had these on a couple of Chevelles and they looked great. I'm assuming they'll also look good on the 71 cat. By the way, my wife also decided (do you see a trend here? lol) on the personalized tag. It's going to be Phat Cat. Now if she can only decide to save some money we'll be in business. I appreciate the help in tire size. Now, if I can only find a pair of 15" Cragars at a reasonable price I'll put the 235's on. Of course I'll keep the original rims,hubs and tires just in case. I was concerned about the spacing and rub, and wasn't sure wheter to stay with the 14's or not. so I appreciate all the good ideas. Thanks!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts