Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around, but all I find are reviews on products that are not OEM correct. TMI and NPD, and ACI all seem to have bad fitment issues- "modify as needed".

I have new upholstery to replace the old stuff, but I have no experience doing the recovering/rebuilding (listing rods, hog rings, burlap and horsehair padding. I have a book and have seen many videos, so I thought I'd give it a go. I'd just like to start with the correct foam if possible.

Anyone else have "modify as needed" experience. Should I go for it, or take it to a shop to have them install everything?

·
Registered
6 Posts
It’s not that hard with patience but if your looking for seats with no need for foam replacement, what color are you looking for ? Also, convertible or hard top ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
It’s not that hard with patience but if your looking for seats that don’t need foam replacement, what color are you looking for and coupe or convertible?

·
Registered
6 Posts
It’s not that hard with patience but if your looking for seats that don’t need foam replacement, what color are you looking for and coupe or convertible?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would be interested in your answer as well since my 72 convertible will be needing new upholstery soon. I always figured the foam would be pretty similar to the 71-73 Mustang bucket seat foam. As for putting the covers on, it's not that difficult and if you take your time it can look great. I recommend not skimping on the hog ring pliers. The cheap ones that come with the sets are just about a pain to work with. Just make sure you take the listing wires out of the old covers and put them back in the new. Not that hard. - Matt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Where did you source your upholstery from and any pics of the covers? Do they have the embossed Cougar in the center inserts on the seat backs?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts