Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of wheels from one of my buddies for really cheap. I got four 17" billet mustang rims off of a '08 mustang. The stud pattern fits perfectly, but on the front the top of the wheel hits the ball joint in the upper control arm. I just put a new front suspension in and was hoping that they would fit with the new control arms but they still didnt fit.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to get the to fit or if maybe changing something like putting disk brakes on would help me at all? Any suggestions are helpful.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
spacers/adapters are a suggestion. They come in varying widths. I tried to put 17's off an 03 Cobra on my cars and ran into the same issue. I have tried installing on both disc and drum setups, even aftermarket disc brakes, but they still wouldn't fit.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
It's an issue witht he offset of the rim. Time to go look for a set that will fit with the offset that will work with the tires you want to run...... Spacers are usually a bad idea since you may run into fender rubbing/other issues

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i tired a spacer but still not enough..i believe im just going to have to buy a new set of rims.. or two new ones that arent so deep for the front. all four of the ones i have now are around 10 in. wide. so maybe if i can find an 8 in. rim to go on the front i think it would fit. thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Yeah, the backspacing is about an inch or so off, so all 4 wheels will look like they're sucked in under the car. You need 0 offset and 4.5 inches of backspace. You can try the giant spacers, but it will look funny and compromise the balance of your wheels, possibly giving you a vibration. These will fit perfectly without any spacers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/17x7-17x9-Gray-Rims-Ford-Mustang-68-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cf3436f6aQQitemZ330498797418QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
160 Posts
i do believe that for 05+ mustang wheels you'll need 1.5" up front and 1.25" for the rear, for 94-04 1" spacers is just right, thats what i'm using. (i have 97 GT 17" double spokes with 245/45 fronts, 275/40 rears)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks sean. does that mean that i can run two that size on the front and leave the ones i got on the back? or would it just be better to buy a new set? the wheels in the link were almost identical to the ones i have now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the chromed version of that rim in the link on my one of my 68's they fit well. You can put a 17x8 with 4.50" backspacing as long as you don't get larger than a 45 series tire on the front, any larger and you'll rub the tires in hard turns. For the rear you pretty much can do what you want up to 11.5" with 5.50" backspacing in the rear without any clearance issues as long as the rear dosent sag.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts