Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many thanks to Milo (aka Cougrrcj) for posting two new reviews. They're both excellent reading and very informative.

One is on AMK's bolt kits and the other on PST's front end kits...

Check them out in the Reviews Section...

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Thanks, Logan, for the kind words.

To everyone else, please stop by and give them a read. Post comments or questions about the products and/or review.

Ummmm, Logan? Is there any way to make the review section look more like the Forum section? That way we'd know how many hits the review had, or any comments/critique before going into the review and artificially inflating the numbers (I am visiting my reviews daily to look for comments, etc) It might also make the reviews section more popular if it were an option/heading on the Forums page without having the left column activated...

·
5,470 Posts
Logan,

Just keep telling yourself that running/maintaining/modifying this board is a 'Lobor of Love'! LOL :p:

Milo

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Any Pictures re the PST's. :D

·
5,470 Posts
Dayle,

My buddies had the whole thing done before I got home from work that day, so no in-progress pics. I can take a pic of the finished project, but all that is going to show you is shiny new parts, just like the car was when new. :D

I'm really detailing (nit-picking restoring) the car as I go along, so it will essentially look like new (maybe better!) when I finally get it back together. I had sent the rear end housing and related parts to a local sandblaster for de-rusting, then sprayed the parts with a self-etching epoxy primer, then painted the stuff again with a coat of finish paint. Now its too shiny! I will have to respray again with a semi-gloss paint so it looks more like the factory underhood black chassis paint. Like I said, picky! I want to make this 18-19 year restoration look like I actually did something! LOL

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Milo, there is no such thing as picky .......you can never be too picky when it comes to restoring the cougar, you sound just like me, I will redo something even if its extra work just to achieve the right finish.................even strip all the paint off and do it again, bearing in mind I forked out an extra R4000 for another colour paint cos' I just knew I would not be happy with the paint we had already bought, which cost R2000. If you could take a photo of the finished work it would be nice, I've no idea what the front end looks like - all shiney and new, only cat we have ever seen is ours.:)

·
5,470 Posts
Underside pieces-parts painted

Yeah, yeah. I know. Most of the underside pieces of the car were not painted from the factory. Yeah, I know the driveshaft and rear end were 'natural'. That's why I had to have the (*^#&%#@% things sandblasted to remove the rust and scale. I also could have used my old control arms, I mean, I had already replaced the ball joints just a year before I took AlphaCat off the road, but... I'd spend more time cleaning up those nasty looking things than it was worth. That's why I went with the PST kit!

The worst thing is removing the factory (or dealer applied) so-called 'rustproofing'. All that crud did was trap the water between itself and the sheetmetal and everything rusted out twice as fast. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the 'rustproofed' gas tank. Naturally, I'm a little reluctant to heat it with a torch to soften the rustproofing, and I don't think my wife would understand me using her hair dryer on it... :D

Ahhh, the 'joys' of classic car ownership! :rolleyes: ;)

·
5,470 Posts
Please post responses to my reviews!!!

If you want me to do more reviews, y'all are going to have to make it worth my while. I'm not going to post them if you guys don't show any enthusiasm!!!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Is'nt there some sort of chemical that will remove the factory 'rustproofing', I would'nt like to take a torch to a gastank. We paint most stuff with 'tectyl' don't know if you get it there, it used to come in a tin, thick blacky rubbery stuff, but I have;nt seen it in that form for ages, now it comes in a spray can. I wonder if using high heat primer would'nt be the best way of making sure no moisture gets trapped, then painting a rust deterrent over that, or would that be defeating the object. Its late, my brain is toast.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts