Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to put a new 24" radiator in my convertible. Car is going to have a big block. Would like to keep the original look but was thinking of going aluminum. Does anyone know anything about the Griffin Aluminum replacements? and if they are adequate for cooling. They look just like the originals (Tank and fit) but I am not sure if they would provide enough cooling with a 2 core at 1 1/4" tubes.

Does anyone have one of these currently or know of an alternate?

Thanks Randy.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Randy, I recently put a 3 row Champion aluminum radiator in my 69 that I bought off eBay of all places. I added dual electric fans and set them at 205 degrees. I had a 4 row previously and when I asked the sales tech about the cooling difference he assured me that their 3 row would be adequate. I had already double checked with my mechanic before I purchased it and he told me the same thing. The radiator is tig welded, is a direct fit and was easy to install. One word of caution though, be extra careful when unhooking your transmission cooler lines. Mine are aluminum and I bent them and had to re-fab new ones.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I have a Griffin - it's been a very good rad. Fit just fine.....I do need the shroud though.

Weren't you selling one max? PM me if you still got it - thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if I went with a dual cooling fan/shroud set up with a Griffin Rad I should get plenty of cooling? I just like that they look like the originals and bolt in the same way. Just trying to find out if there is a negative side to them. Too small?

Randy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts