Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Recently installed a new radiator in the car. The old one was leaking badly at the lower hose. Ran plenty of water through it and all the water that came out was clear before we installed the new radiator.

Now i find that there was fluid in the temporary overflow tank I've installed. About 1/2 a gallon actually. I poured it back in since the radiator clearly was missing some, but when i saw traces of brown fluid i stopped. When i looked at the container it was brown, just like chocolate milk. This was a total surprise to me with a clean system and a new radiator.

I have a master switch on the car, breaking the ground wire from the battery. I usually switch this off when i don't use the car, avoiding a potentially empty battery.
Could this be a reason for the corrosion? I really don't want the new radiator messed up.

Thank you!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
So, are you saying that you DID flush the block as well as the radiator? It sounds like normal 'block water'. You can install a "T" fitting into one of the heater hoses, drain the coolant out, and then add a teaspon or so of dry tide detergent. Fill with water, run the engine to temp again, and then flush again. Don't use a lot of tide, but that will help ensure that you have nothing left in the block but water. Then add coolant again, and you should be fine.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi,

Recently installed a new radiator in the car. The old one was leaking badly at the lower hose. Ran plenty of water through it and all the water that came out was clear before we installed the new radiator.

Now i find that there was fluid in the temporary overflow tank I've installed. About 1/2 a gallon actually. I poured it back in since the radiator clearly was missing some, but when i saw traces of brown fluid i stopped. When i looked at the container it was brown, just like chocolate milk. This was a total surprise to me with a clean system and a new radiator.

I have a master switch on the car, breaking the ground wire from the battery. I usually switch this off when i don't use the car, avoiding a potentially empty battery.
Could this be a reason for the corrosion? I really don't want the new radiator messed up.

Thank you!
Is this brown fluid separated from the coolant? Floats on top? If so sounds like oil is getting into the coolant some how. If the coolant has turned brown it must be leftovers from before.

Bill

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The brown fluid was found in the bottom of the container. And it didn't look oil colored on the surface. The majority of the fluid is green and looking good. At first i didn't see any brown color in the container, but after pouring the majority of the coolant back in the brown color appeared. Im thinking the same as wonderwrench, that something is separated but i can't see what it is since oil would be floating on top of the coolant.

I did flush through the old radiator, but only with water. I don't have access to a hose to flush/backflush the engine, so i poured in regular water, ran the engine, drained, and re-did this a couple of times before installing the new radiator and coolant

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts