Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I...WE (my 16yo and i) just picked up a77 cougar. We're planning a basic overhaul....all new gaskets, wires, and everything else...flush this, replace that, u know (i hope!).

It's been many years since I've worked on a project, and never a v8, sooooo I'm wondering what you advise specifically for the 351m/77 cougar. i don't want to go overboard with upgrades, but accept that for a cleaner, leaner setup some of that may be required. And i definitely don't want to convert to a400.

Thanks in advance!
(this is the right place, isn't it? If i made a wrong turn pls tell me )

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
What kind of shape is it in overall? First things to worry about are rusty tank/fuel lines and brake lines. They tend to get rusty from the inside out over the years. I would at least flush all that and inspect it for signs of rust. What do you mean by overhaul? Are you removing the motor? If so I'd check the bearings for wear and make sure the cylinder bores aren't needing bored or anything. Hopefully you could get by with just a freshening up with new bearings/rings/timing set/freeze plugs/ and maybe a new cam and lifters.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Roger that. She's in pretty good shape, runs well, a bit hard to start occasionally. It doesn't sound like the starter to me, but idk a whole lot :)
And a strange symptom...I turned off the key and it took a moment to shut off...kinda spluttered a bit first, and sounds like she wants to backfire but doesn't, stalls out until she gets warm. I've been driving it for about three days. Sounds nice when running, but has a tick tick tick.
We're the third owners, car came up from Arizona about 20 yrs ago. I have a bill shows a new gas tank about 5 years ago and straightening gas lines (whatever that really means!)

I only have basic hand tools sooooo we're off to get a couple things...a pressure gauge, Haynes book, jack & stands.... Can you recommend any other essentials to start with?

Thanks for the input! Appreciate your time :)
*Baking muffins and taking off the starter when I get home. Lol.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Not sure to what extent your basic overhaul means since you mention gaskets. I'm pretty sure the 77 still had vacuum lines, and a computer module which could affect normal running. I would also replace your battery cables to make sure you have solid connections. Not sure if you have a Harbor Freight close, they can be very handy especially with sales on stuff like floor jack, jack stands, and wheel chocks to mention a few. My personal preference on tools like sockets and wrench's is to use 6 point not 12 and don't go cheap as you will get a lot of use over the years. Good luck with the project and should be a good time with your 16yo. :smoke:

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
You can also rent some tools from the big box parts stores - sometime you can borrow them for just a deposit. Things like a compression tester and radiator pressure tester and things you don't need often, but will help you ID the health of those things. Ticking sounds can be exhaust leaks about as often as they are "lifters" - so I think you should just go through and check all the vac lines and test for vac leaks by spraying carb cleaner around areas prone to leaks - like the carb base and manifold connections etc. Run a compression test on all the cylinders and see where it's at. A Vacuum gauge is a very useful tool to tune it up with. Youtube the use of that and I think you will find plenty of help. It takes awhile to get a decent tool collection together unless you are swimming in spare cash. Like Mark says stick to good brands and you won't regret it. Auctions are a good place to get some goodies. You want 1/4" 1/2"' and 3/8" sets including deep well sockets and a good assortment of extensions (I prefer the wobble types for flexibility) for starters. Quality screwdrivers are a must.....don't go the China route on those either. A good set of pliers should have a range of sizes and also include some needle nose and a few vice grips too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome. For sure I'll get a vac gauge. I have all the basic tools, lots of Jeep specific stuff (please don't shoot!), and a pretty healthy mcgyver Kit. When I say overhaul I mean we'll take it apart as far as we can without lifting the engine (because I don't have anything to lift it with) and build it back up. Staying mostly stock, except where practical/necessary- with the main goal being to limit how fast my daughter can go in it....oh sorry, I mean we want the best mpg we can get in a V8.

it will be a few weeks til it's really warm enough to work outside. I spent today familiarizing myself so I'm getting an idea. Sooooo anyway, until we get to that phase, can anyone help me with the windshield wipers? They worked for about 7 seconds, then quit and it rains here...A LOT!

Thanks sooooo much for all the good advice.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
can anyone help me with the windshield wipers? They worked for about 7 seconds, then quit and it rains here...A LOT!

Thanks sooooo much for all the good advice.
Are you sure that you are not operating the wipers on intermittent mode? Or perhaps if it does have the intermittent option it is not properly working. Also you could check to make sure that nothing is binding the linkage.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply Randy :)

No, I'm not sure. I'll look into that possibility and post back

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think i found the problem. Lmao.
There's no radio so i reached through the opening to see what i could feel and the parts just dropped out into the floor.
Can i fix this or do i needed a new part? Consulting Mr Haynes while i wait for your sage advice:pimp:

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm thinking i should start a new thread? I don't want to double post....

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah might start a wiper one for a 77 cat. I don't know what that is you found...? Looks like maybe parts from a switch or something maybe. See if you can get a good flashlight and contort yourself enough to look under there to see where it might have come from. Kinda looks like it would go over the end of a hex-shapped shaft huh?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts