Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 73 has a 2v stock cleveland. Started idling ruff out of the blue. The pertronix ignitor rep said that my low battery may be the problem. I replaced the distributor with a points (single) set. Set dwell at 30 and timing at h degrees BTDC. Now it is backfiring when I come off of the gas. What have I done wrong?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Your timing must still be off. Do you mean 6 degrees BTDC instead of h? Is the mechanical or vacuum advance working? Has the rough idle gone away? We really need more information to help.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
sounds like timing is to far advanced. back it off a little and the popping should go away.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did mean 6 degrees BTC... sorry. The popping did sound retarded alright, so I did back it off and still there was some- less, but still there.

It was a real wonder because I am taking a body/paint class on Friday and Saturdays. I drove it there on Friday... all was fine- I left it there overnight. Saturday I drive it home it popped and ran like hell. I forgot it until the next week and it was still popping. Now I have replaced the distributor, the pertronix ignitor with standard points, cap and rotor. Checked all the vacuum lines for leaks and the plugs are only100 miles old. When I pulled the plug wires to take picture to post here of the vacuum routing I was using, I realized my problem. I have 5 Chevy's in my driveway and this Cougar- the only ford. The firing order and cylinder sequence are known to me to be different- in fact I always print out a picture of the 351c firing order when I work on the distributor. But... my brain is always saying 1-3-5-7, 2-4-6-8, even though the diagram is saying 1-2-3-4, 5-6-7-8 :bloated:.

Anyway, I caught myself counting the cylinders like I was hovering over a SBC twive before I got to the last wire in the order- it was then that I knew... I don't bleed Ford Corporate Blue :eek2:.

I timed the ignition at 6 degrees BTDC, Set the dwell at 25 and it ran like the proverbial top. Thanks to all that tried to help.

ps. I sold all my chevy's the same day and bought yugos. :toung:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts