Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 73 has a 2v stock cleveland. Started idling ruff out of the blue. The pertronix ignitor rep said that my low battery may be the problem. I replaced the distributor with a points (single) set. Set dwell at 30 and timing at h degrees BTDC. Now it is backfiring when I come off of the gas. What have I done wrong?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Sorry about the double posting of this thread- I was posting from the shop on my "smart Phone"... ought to tell you something.

I am adding some new photos because I have been looking at either the timing belt for this problem or a vacuum leak or mis-routing of vacuum lines. You may recall I had a fire in this car last winter. I put it back together without the benefit of pulling the old vac lines and replacing them- cause they were burnt all to hellnback. So I was guessing at the RIGHT vacuum routing. I have removed the plug wires to make the routing easier to see. If any of you more knowledgeable about vacuum on the 2v Cleveland can tell me what may be mis-routed, I would appreciate you pointing it out. The only ones affected by the fire, and in question, are the ones that run from the carb, the vacuum advance, the heater hose switch(circled in yellow) and the one capped switch that screws into the intake at passenger front of the carburetor vacfinal.jpg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts