Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking with Don from WCCC the other day and he told me about the new PLASTIC Cougar emblems he just got in and how nice they are. I thought "Yeah, sure. They probably look just like all the other cheap plastic repros out there". But the metal emblems are EXPENSIVE, so I took a chance and ordered one of his new plastic emblems.

I am impressed and very happy with the plastic emblem's look and price. See for yourself:

No, Don didn't pay me for this shameless plug. I just thought some of you other guys might like saving some bucks on something that looks as good as NOS at less than half the price.

Jeff

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Ford used stick-on plastic Cougar emblems on later cars. The problems with plastic emblems is that the finish doesn't hold up well to the elements. The chrome fades and the black paint peels... Yes, the black paint peels of the metal emblems as well, but the chrome finish stays shinier much longer.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I am betting that the part you have is not plastic. You might want to check that again. The light weight is aluminum as a base material, instead of zamac or Zinc alloy.

·
5,470 Posts
I know it came from a late '70s Cougar... It is stuck on AlphaCat now, so kinda hard to check - especially with 2' snowdrifts between the house and back garage...

Have I mentioned how much I hate winter?

·
5,470 Posts
OK, I've been wrong before... :uhoh: :toung:

I know that they were nowhere near the weight of the original emblems.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Actually it is the same weight as the aluminum originals. Maybe someone had put diecast on your car previously? Glad you are so happy with it and thanks for saying so!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts