Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I am a new member and a new owner of a 67 cougar. I am very excited and am looking forward to trying to tackle the restoration of this vehicle. I just had a question. Was the 67 the first year of this car? and also on the headlights there is a can sort of thing used for the lights to be able to turn on and off. My question is how can you get a new one of these. I am not sure if the ine in the car actually works

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Welcome to the group and welcome to Cougar ownership!

Yes the '67 was the first model year.

The headlight doors are one of the most distinguishing features of these cars, and also the source of a too-large proportion of headaches... There are a ton of experts on this forum that will be able to help you!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Greetings, "1", and welcome to the forum! Post some pictures of your car when you have the opportunity.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
welcome and time to earn your cougar paws, vacuum problems and sequential flasher problems are a right of passage. Please go to the cougar club of america and register your cat.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Hi 1, welcome to the forum, and to the love/hate relationship of sequential lights.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Congrats on your purchase...The '67 Cougar is the best car in the world in my (slightly biased) opinion...

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
What they said..... This is the place for info on your new CAT......ENJOY!!!!!!!
BTW 67 is the most classic year!.................. Don't start ...you guys!!

Don

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Welcome "1", Woo Hoo, another 67!!:D Is it me or are there more 67s popping up here?

Regarding your headlight question...which "cans" are you talking about? There is one vacuum motor for each of the headlight doors and one large vacuum reservoir inside the driver side front fender. You can purchase rebuilt vacuum motors at most cougar part vendors listing in the "links" section of this site. I'm not 100% sure about the vacuum reservoir inside the front fender but I don't think that it is reproduced. Your best bet would be to contact the part vendors in search for a good used one. And then there's ebay!! And it might not be the vacuum motors or reservoir...if your lucky, it could be as simple as a leaking vacumm line!

Have fun with your new coug!!

BTW 67 is the most classic year!.................. Don't start ...you guys!!
...........Right on, Don:D

·
Registered
210 Posts
Welcome to the forum, congrats on getting a '67 cat!

Have fun with the headlights. If the vacuum isn't working you could always convert to electric?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Welcome aboard! Many of us on this board (myself included) have owned our cars for over 20 years, and you will find everyone here willing to help with any questions you may have..
Keep asking the questions and we'll keep answering!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts