Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a '68 XR-7 and am starting to gather information for the restoration. The first question I have involves the paint code, which is Q (Glacier Blue). Is there a source for the PPG/Ditzler paint code numbers or even an example of the color on-line? Any pointers to Cougar resources on-line will help. The last time I owned a '68 XR-7, the Internet wasn't even a fantasy.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Your best bet may be to go to a local auto paint store and try to have the paint code cross referenced. I'm talking an auto paint store which supplies the body shop industry, not a regular auto parts. Or find a shop with an old paint code book who also has a paint decoding camera to take a picture and decode the paint color.
I'm doing this with a '69 cuda. Convert it over to the 'new' base coat/clear coat. I'm not shooting the car with Laquer.

My .02 for now..

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Welcome aboard!!

Other that this site, which is full of great people and help, another place to start looking regarding Cougar resources is "The Classic Cougar Network". Well worth the look.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i say go to a good paint store near your house and cross reference the paint code that is on your car. i may not be correct.. but wasnt that RM laquor used back then on the old Fords?? i may be wrong, but i still think that any good paint store will be able to look it up for you. and i believe Metro Mustang had a paint chip section where you could get a look at the colors ( computer screens lie about the colors though ). metromustang.com is the address, just follow the links to the paint section. BTW Cougar1 --- my Cougar is laquer. RM Laquer, with a Valspar urethane Clear over it...... its fine.............. but yes, a modern Base Clear is the way to go for most people.

·
Registered
364 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone

Thanks to everyone who responded. I hadn't realized that the color is actually Brittany Blue by another name. I'm also a vintage Mustang owner, so I could've looked it up had I realized that. Learn something new every day!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts