Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all on this forum! I recently had the good fortune to find and buy a 1968 Cougar XR-7 that has been sitting in a garage for the last 24 years (since 1978). It is an absolutely original and mostly unmolested car. I say "mostly" only because the owners son had attempted to repair some small rust areas in front of, and behind, the drivers side rear wheel opening. Everything else is intact and all the parts that are supposed to be there actually are. The car is equipped with factory A/C, PS, PB w/ front disc, and AT. It has the overhead console and the full wood grain dash, both of which appear to be in excellent condition. The sequential turn signal controller is there, but I don't know if it works. According to the owner, one signal wasn't working when the car was garaged. All of the wheel covers are in good shape and in the trunk. There is no evidence anywhere that the car has ever been hit or had any bodywork other than what the son attempted. The cowl test produced an immediate puddle of water under the fenders and the carpets stayed dry. There are no bubbles under the vinyl top, which is still in pretty nice shape except for a small tear near the center of the roof.

The pertinent data is as follows:

VIN - 8F93J528854 (1968, Dearborn, XR-7 Hardtop, Unit # 28,854)

Door Plate:
65B (XR-7 Hardtop)
Q (Glacier Blue Poly.)
6B (Dark Blue Vinyl & Leather Interior)
17A (January 1968 build date)
21 (Atlanta DSO)
5 - 3.00 Open
W - C-4 Automatic

And the best part? $2,200.00! We'll be going back with a trailer this weekend to pick it up. Then we can start tinkering to see if it will fire up after all these years. I can't wait! BTW, the car has spent those 24 years in Cheshire, CT. so I think I'm justified in referring to it as the Cheshire Cat!

·
Registered
168 Posts
very nice

Every cougar I find is green I often wondered if they made a different color of cat. Nice find and good luck.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Maannnnnn. Where are these cars hiding......? I would love to find a deal llike That! I'm looking for another cat to keep mine company.....

Don;)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Cowl test??

Can you give me more info on your "cowl test"? How much water do you dump into the cowl area to get a picture of the rust damage?...cup full or a garden hose???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts