Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! This is my first time posting at this site and I would like to say Hello!

I just bought my first Cat about a month ago! I got her at my family's carlot, from an elderly man. The car is a 69 XR-7 with 93k original miles, it has just had the entire front suspension rebuilt, along with a new timing chain.

So far I have done a few things like changing the air cleaner (that big blue stocker was just too big for me), the voltage regulator, alternator, and of course the oil. But I seem to have ran into a slight problem.

It seems my cat doesn't want to "get up and go" when I get on her. It seems to have a large hesitation. For example, if I put it in first (FMX tranny) at a stop sign (After is has warmed up) and drop the pedal, the car will take off like its driving grandma to church, and the tires, or tire, will make a tiny little chirp.

Now, I've seen these 351 Windsors in action, and that car should be lighting them up if I jump on it that hard (I normaly don't, but when I noticed the hesitation, I decided to see what would happen at a stop).

The car came with a 4bbl stock, but now has a BRAND NEW Holley 2bbl, and I just put new plugs in, (Splitfires) if that means anything. I just can't seem to figure this out, I am thinking maybe the timing, the guy might have retarded it to run the cheap gas, or maybe a vaccum leak. But all the hoses look good.

If anyone has any ideas, I could really use 'em right about now.

Thank you all in advance,

Chris

(PS- I have been reading this board for quite some time, and look forward to getting to know you all!)

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
If it came with a 4bbl intake and you put a 2bbl on it somehow it might be starving for air or fuel. Did you change the intake manifold when you changed the carb? What is the CFM of your NEW 2bbl?:thinkuh:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Put a four barrel back on! This is a first; I've never heard of anyone going from a 4bbl to a 2 bbl.

Aside from that, check the timing and once that is on, make the adjustments to the carb and don't forget to adjust the accelerator pump!

Bert

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Yeah, I have never heard of someone down-grading before either! But it has a 2bbl on there now, and the vin said it came with a 4!

Chris

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've had similar problems, and I'm guessing mine is either the 2bbl carb (new 4bbl on the way) or the super high rear axle (like 2.8 someodd according to the dataplate!)

I'll see which makes it go away.

*shrug*

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i still dont know if its the 2bbl causing it, when my car had the stock single exhaust and the 2bbl, i could actually make some MEAN ass smokies with it. ( it made a clean one almost 100 ft once ) but that was in the days of skinny white walls too. the car would run out of steam very quickly though. so the 4bbl and duals and headers came around, even though i lost some low end power, the power all around was better. Anyway, back to the subject, are you sure that the carb is tuned correctly??does it bog or stumble or anything like that?? it MIGHT be the gearing in the rear end, but i highly doubt it. even with some 2.80 cogs the Windsor should push them pretty nasty. bump the timing, see what you can do with the carb and see where it goes from there. BTW ---- do the right thing... 4bbl it man. then you can look like this.....

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
sixt9coug said:
i still dont know if its the 2bbl causing it, when my car had the stock single exhaust and the 2bbl, i could actually make some MEAN ass smokies with it. ( it made a clean one almost 100 ft once ) but that was in the days of skinny white walls too. the car would run out of steam very quickly though. so the 4bbl and duals and headers came around, even though i lost some low end power, the power all around was better. Anyway, back to the subject, are you sure that the carb is tuned correctly??does it bog or stumble or anything like that?? it MIGHT be the gearing in the rear end, but i highly doubt it. even with some 2.80 cogs the Windsor should push them pretty nasty. bump the timing, see what you can do with the carb and see where it goes from there. BTW ---- do the right thing... 4bbl it man. then you can look like this.....
Yeah the timing has been giving us issues...right now we're waiting for FedEx to deliver the new 4bbl carb/intake and the new cam and timing chain...decided to go with Edelbrock performer series stuff. So tuning/timing issues will be sorted out with the new stuff. As of now the engine is in pieces! :)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
kick ass, go for it man. then give a full review here lol. at least tell us if it was worth the cash anyway.

·
Registered
246 Posts
sixt9coug said:
kick ass, go for it man. then give a full review here lol. at least tell us if it was worth the cash anyway.
Stuff came, but the bug got us for a bit more..

Needed a few things to hook the throttle/kickdown to the Edelbrock carb, pushrods, fuel pump....waiting on another summit shipment :) I'll have pics up soon, and let you guys know how it turns out.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
where in Socal are you?? might be easier to just go to a speed shop around here. not too many, but they are around

·
Registered
246 Posts
sixt9coug said:
where in Socal are you?? might be easier to just go to a speed shop around here. not too many, but they are around
I'm in the Inland Empire. Easier to go to a speed shop? Definately...but then when we looked for PARTS at J&M Speed Shop (in Riverside) they were almost twice what we're paying now. :eek2: I don't even want to know how much Labor would be. We've put probably $2k into this car (including buying the thing) and that's about all we have to spend on this sort of thing.

Besides which, this is a project being undertaken by my father and I, and we've wanted to build up a car for a long time.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
yeah, i understand that too. Team C is the closest one to me out here ( Near Long Beach -- around Downey and Paramount and stuff ) they usually cost a little more, but i have never gone in there without them having what i need. Some items like carbs and whatnot are usually comprable to Summits prices though. i went there and i did pay too much for an intake once. But i chalk that up to me not wanting to wait for the box from Summit to arrive. and sometimes they are willing to give a break on the prices as well, just to compete with places like summit. You cant beat the help that you can get from places like this too. I buy from Summit too, but i like going to the speed shops better.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Logan said:
The Performer package is a great way to go. It'll really liven your kitty up.

I run the Performer RPM package and love it.
Only reason we didn't get the performer RPM is we couldn't afford to replace our rockers :)

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Sluggish Cat

Sounds like some of your problem might be that when the carb was changed, the vacuum lines got messed up. If you don't have the right vacuum lines running to the right places, you'll get a sluggish cat. If you don't have the correct line running to the vacuum advance on the distributor, you might not be getting the right ammount of vacuum advance. IE, if you have manifold vacuum hooked up to the vacuum advance, you'll have the exact opposite vacuum signal you want going to the distributor.

Hey, I know this is a simple solution, but I've seen this mix-up in real life!

Easy way to test this is to check ignition timing at idle and again as you advance the throttle, and again at around 3000rpm. The inital advance, or idle timing, should be close to factory spec. At 3000 or so rpm you'll want around 34 degrees total advance. If you're not getting that, you've got a problem...

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So that would explain that vaccum line with the bolt coming out of it =)

Thanks!

Will check it out!

Chris

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update!

Just wanted to give you guys an update. I have taken my points out of my distributor (In to the trash they went) and replaced them with a Pertronix Ignitor ll, whoa! what a difference. The hesitation is gone, and I can notice a nice power increase.

Chris

·
Registered
246 Posts
Re: Update!

cmpcpro said:
Just wanted to give you guys an update. I have taken my points out of my distributor (In to the trash they went) and replaced them with a Pertronix Ignitor ll, whoa! what a difference. The hesitation is gone, and I can notice a nice power increase.

Chris
We're redoing the whole electrical, so that's promising :-D

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i have the Pertronix thing in my car as well. easy to hook up and it sure beats changing points every 4000 miles. i kinda want something more powerful than my 38000 volt accel coil though...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts